Handgunhunt

How often do you clean your wheelgun?

Posted By: 14cm

How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/13/2010 2:44 PM

not just wipe it down. i mean for real clean, scrub the bore and the cyl holes. just short of a full teardown. I do a full teardown once a year and a thorough cleaning about 4-5 times a year. is this too much? I shoot all h110/296 with jacketed hp. Maybe 1500 rounds combined between all 3 revolvers.
Posted By: ratgunner

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/13/2010 4:39 PM

I do mine every 100 shots or so.Sometimes less,sometimes more. Depends on what I'm feeding it and if I'm at the range and want to shoot 150-200 rounds then I wont stop just to clean it unless I'm having problems. Some powders burn cleaner than others,lead bullets pushed fast can dirty up a bore pretty quickly too.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/13/2010 4:41 PM

I do a thorough cleaning before long time storage in the safe, like the winter months. Then during use a good cleaning when I feel it needs it, or alot of rounds have been down the tube.
Posted By: KRal

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/13/2010 6:52 PM

Are you supposed to clean 'em?
;\)

I do about the same as Tigger.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/13/2010 7:50 PM

As little as possible.....
Posted By: wtroper

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 12:10 AM

I have been told by a friend of mine (whose veracity I do not question) that Bob Baker (Freedom Arms) told him that more damage is done to FA revolvers from cleaning than from shooting. I follow his lead -- clean good before "long-term storage" and "when the action starts feeling grimy."
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 1:16 AM

I usually wipe the bore after each session, depending on how much shootin', and the cylinder if I am industrious. I haven't been inside any of mine for reasons other than springs. Cleaning is waaay over-rated ;-)
Posted By: mikefrompa

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 2:06 AM

Every time I get done a shooting session. It's spotless when I am done.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 4:28 AM

I do a very thorough cleaning after every heavy shooting session and then once or twice a year I tear them down. After a normaly day running fifteen or twenty rounds through it or after a day of hunting in extreme conditions I'll run a bore snake through the bore and chambers and I'll use some Break Free Powder Blaster to spray out the action. If you use something like the Powder Blaster or one of the other action cleaners you can save yourself alot of headaches. I've found when I do take my guns apart that they are still spotless inside. Since I'm shooting all heavy hitters I also apply a light coat of gun grease or a drop or two oil on each end of the cylinder where it contacts the frame as this will reduce wear from friction and recoil. A word of caution on the action cleaners some of them will damage some of the polymer grips so it's safer to pop them off real quick it you have them on your gun.
Posted By: guitarpicva

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: mikefrompa
Every time I get done a shooting session. It's spotless when I am done.

Ditto. I figure why tempt fate? Since I use a BoreSnake, I don't really fear much damage to the bore. Makes short work of the cleaning as well. Since it's an SA, I pull the cylinder out to get at the bore anyway, so I pull the BoreSnake through each chamber just to clear out any soot. I wipe down with a little protectant on the cleaning rag when I'm done also, mainly because I store it in the basement with my reloading equipment. It's around 50% relative humidity this time of year so I don't want to chance any corrosion. The whole operation only takes a few minutes.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 1:24 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey

I'm with James on this! When I have trouble cycling the revolver, it's time to clean it. Otherwise, I keep it well lubed where needed, and don't think about it.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 1:56 PM

I am with JfJ and Whitworth on this I wipe it down externally everytime I touch it to keep the finger prints off and grease the contact areas of my cylinder and that's it,for most of the year.Usually one time a year I clean it completely.Rest of the time I spend shooting.
Posted By: aimingpoint

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 4:17 PM

I must be anal ;o( I usually let it go 2 or 3 trips out and clean mine
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 4:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Only when accuracy starts becoming an issue…
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 5:54 PM

Originally Posted By: cottonstalk
I am with JfJ and Whitworth on this I wipe it down externally everytime I touch it to keep the finger prints off and grease the contact areas of my cylinder and that's it,for most of the year.Usually one time a year I clean it completely.Rest of the time I spend shooting.

You guys are definetly making me feel better about my cleaning habits (or lack there of...)
\:\)
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 8:30 PM

Quote:
You guys are definetly making me feel better about my cleaning habits (or lack there of...)

Group therapy ;-)
Posted By: SChunter

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/14/2010 8:34 PM

Amen Brothers! And stainless guns are the best
\:\)
Wipe down, a little Flitz for the powder burns, and they look brand new.

But I do have some that are needing some bore cleaning now
\:\(
Posted By: 14cm

Re: How often do you clean your wheelgun? - 06/15/2010 12:23 AM

soo, i see there is no real good answer. I think the damage that freedom arms was speaking of was the wearing of the cyl face from removing powder burns over and over with those stainless cleaning clothes. i heard this somewhere?
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums