Handgunhunt

Case Cleaning

Posted By: Mike Harris

Case Cleaning - 03/13/2011 8:42 PM

Just curious how you guys are cleaning your cases. I have a tumbler and am using corn cob media. But I have been reading about the ultrasonic cleaners and looks like it may do a better job and quicker.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/13/2011 8:57 PM

2, 3 er so hrs in a tumbler with corncob and brass polish added(substitue walnut if wanted). put together a timer to kick it off after a preset time. good nuff, fast nuff, easy nuff fer me. i wouldn't like messing with liquids.

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/13/2011 8:58 PM

Your adding polish to the media? What type?

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/13/2011 9:13 PM

mmmm....i think what i have now is "dillon"....or midway, i forget. i wouldn't be too picky on trying others when i run out. i've heard "nu-finish" car polish works. i might try it sometime. as long as my cases are relatively clean i'd be satisfied. they gonna get dirty again anyway...lol.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/13/2011 10:37 PM

They're just gonna get dirty again, why bother?
Posted By: mikefrompa

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/13/2011 10:41 PM

I use a tumbler with corncob media and some brass polish. I tumble my brass everytime so it normally takes about an hour.
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/14/2011 12:54 AM

Not sure guys but I remembering reading somewhere in a reloading manual a long time ago that you should not add polish to your media when polishing. Chamber and case head pressure depends on the friction between case and chamber. It can lead to a potentially dangerous situation with some cartridges. JMHO!!

Gary, Ernie, anyone ever read about this?

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/14/2011 1:05 AM

never heard of it....and thats why they make it....for your media. if you have a dangerous situation, it won't be because you cleaned your brass.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/14/2011 1:45 AM

I have used the Cabelas brand polish with my corn cob, but am currently using Lymans polish with my corn cob. Someone gave me three bottles of the stuff, so I use whats free first!
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/14/2011 2:03 AM

When I bought my Lyman turret kit it came with media cleaner.

From everything I have read cleaning your cases increases the quality of your inspection on your brass and it also protects your dies. Clean brass portents your resizing die from being scratched and damaged.
Posted By: mete

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/14/2011 4:42 PM

Apparently no one knows the difference between 'clean' and 'polished' !
Punch out the primer .Put them in a pot with water and detergent, boil for about 10-15 minutes ,rinse ,dry ! That's "clean".
Tumble with corncobs, polishing media , that's "polished" !
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/14/2011 4:52 PM

Actually I think we were talking about adding a polishing agent to the media...

Originally Posted By: Bullelk Hunter
Not sure guys but I remembering reading somewhere in a reloading manual a long time ago that you should not add polish to your media when polishing.

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/14/2011 5:54 PM

I was...

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/14/2011 8:08 PM

Quote:
Apparently no one knows the difference between 'clean' and 'polished' !

prank with your word play all day long, i don't care. float your brass in the river for a week if you want to. i just told the poster how i do mine. it "works" good enough for me.
Posted By: geojanitor

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/16/2011 1:38 AM

No word play here, just what works for me. I recommend the cheap "house brand" stuff from Cabelas. You can get the corn cob media and polish for ~14 if I can remember correctly. Works about as good as anything else I have tried and quite a bit cheaper.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Case Cleaning - 03/16/2011 1:43 AM

Well technically, in the process of polishing it gets cleaned as well. If it don't shine it aint clean!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums