Handgunhunt

What would you buy?

Posted By: Mike Harris

What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 12:16 AM

Been thinking about a new pistol. I own a 44 mag and a 480/475. I primarily hunt pigs and some deer here in florida and Georgia and am now reloading. What would you pick as a new toy?
Posted By: wheeler45

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 12:19 AM

May I suggest an Encore in a rifle cartridge? Perhaps a 7-08 or .308 would get you started.
Posted By: WyoJoe

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 12:28 AM

Do you have a .357? That is the route I would go if I already had a .44 & .480.

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 12:28 AM

Funny you suggested that. I just had a stainless Encore 7-08 in my hands today checking it out. I liked it.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 12:31 AM

So many options:
What are some of your preferences?

Originally Posted By: Mike Harris
Been thinking about a new pistol. I own a 44 mag and a 480/475. I primarily hunt pigs and some deer here in florida and Georgia and am now reloading. What would you pick as a new toy?

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 1:16 AM

With 2 revolvers I think Im ready for a single shot. I like larger grain bullets because the swamps on my lease are not pretty and I spend too much time in them looking for my clients kills. But on the other hand I already own a cannon so I want something thats pleasurable to shoot out at longer ranges. In other words I have no idea what I want. But Im fairly sure Ive decided on a single shot.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 1:20 AM

Originally Posted By: wheeler45
May I suggest an Encore in a rifle cartridge? Perhaps a 7-08 or .308 would get you started.

I second that!
Posted By: cfish2

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 1:22 AM

Own them both. The later thanks to Greg and TC. I love them both. I lean towards the 308 though!
Posted By: geojanitor

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 1:30 AM

The great thing about a SSP like the T/C is that you can just keep buying barrels, or that could be a problem that borders on addiction for some (myself included). If you don't like the first caliber you try just post it on the forum or gunbroker and you will probably get your money back and you can try another caliber. For the SSP in a break open design I like a rim, something based on a 225 winchester, 30-30 or 444 marlin parent case. I also prefer my contenders over my encores, for my use they are just handier but that is personal preference. Let us know what you decide on.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 1:37 AM

Might want to consider an Encore in 338 Fed, 358/356 Win or even a 308 Win

All would do well

2.5-8 Leupold scope or a 2-7 Burris would look nice on top.

In the G2 Platform you might want to look ath the 375 JDJ or 375 Win as well as a 30-30 AI

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 1:53 AM

What distances?
Another great option is the MOA Maximum handgun.
Stronger than the Encore, better trigger, and a free-floated barrel to boot.
Easy to change threaded barrels.
http://www.moaguns.com/
Here is a 3-shot group at 500 yards:

Originally Posted By: Mike Harris
With 2 revolvers I think Im ready for a single shot. I like larger grain bullets because the swamps on my lease are not pretty and I spend too much time in them looking for my clients kills. But on the other hand I already own a cannon so I want something thats pleasurable to shoot out at longer ranges. In other words I have no idea what I want. But Im fairly sure Ive decided on a single shot.

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 1:56 AM

Group is right at 1.5"
Wish I could shoot that good every day
\:\)
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 2:12 AM

MOA is a great option- did not think of that one

Maybe a 6 BR or a 6 x47 like Ernie's 7-08 many choices--
Posted By: asquires2

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 8:47 PM

Originally Posted By: geojanitor
The great thing about a SSP like the T/C is that you can just keep buying barrels, or that could be a problem that borders on addiction for some (myself included). If you don't like the first caliber you try just post it on the forum or gunbroker and you will probably get your money back and you can try another caliber. For the SSP in a break open design I like a rim, something based on a 225 winchester, 30-30 or 444 marlin parent case. I also prefer my contenders over my encores, for my use they are just handier but that is personal preference. Let us know what you decide on.

Why is it that you prefer your Tender or the Encore?
Posted By: 460Encore

Re: What would you buy? - 03/16/2011 10:25 PM

I would probably say go with the 44 mag if your don't reload and go with the 480/475 if your are reloading.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: What would you buy? - 03/17/2011 2:04 AM

Quote:
Why is it that you prefer your Tender or the Encore?

I can't speak for geo, but you need to hold both to really understand. The Encore is HUGE compared to the 'Tender, in every way. I cannot get my trigger finger to the triger on the Encore without twisting my wrist to the point where I compromise my hold. If you have large hands you may not have a problem. I don't understand why they made the handle so large, or the geometry such. Just like Savage, they must have very tall designers.
Posted By: wtroper

Re: What would you buy? - 03/17/2011 2:02 PM

I also prefer the contender to the encore. While I have both & shoot both, the smaller size of the contender pleases me. The increase in performance available with the encore is material, but with the right cartridges (often wildcats), I have not found the contender lacking. In addition, the triggers on the older contenders are much superior to the G-2s and encores, IMHO.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: What would you buy? - 03/17/2011 3:49 PM

Same here. My contender is a lot nicer to carry around in the hand on long walks thru the woods. Easier to grip as well.
Posted By: WheelchairBandit

Re: What would you buy? - 03/18/2011 1:25 AM

I prefer the Contender over the Encore as well, simply because it's far lighter and easier for me to shoot from field positions. Even a Contender with a Super 14 and a scope on it is a bit big for my use, which is why I mainly use either octogon barrels or 10 inchers on my guns for hunting.

Brian.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: What would you buy? - 03/19/2011 9:46 PM

Originally Posted By: cfish2
Same here. My contender is a lot nicer to carry around in the hand on long walks thru the woods. Easier to grip as well.

Custom grips for the Encore make a LOT of difference. I felt the same way until I customized my Encores. I have a hard time putting them down. LOL

But that is what makes us so strong, the fact we do have different preferences.

Duane

Re: What would you buy? - 03/19/2011 11:45 PM

My wish list is outgrowing my income.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums