Handgunhunt

Brass Tumblers

Posted By: johnwilliams

Brass Tumblers - 04/03/2011 3:15 PM

I am just curious to find out if any of you fellas have problems with brass tumblers or not.My wife bought me a Lyman twin tumbler somewhere around twenty years ago and I don't believe I've used it ,maybe a dozen times and the motor seizes up,I would have to spin the weight to get it moving but anyway it finally burned up the motor.It just bothers me though that its only been used a dozen or so times before it burned up.
Posted By: mete

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/03/2011 4:16 PM

That reminds me of a window fan I bought years ago. Worked fine the first summer but not the second. Took it apart and found the lube had oxydized and formed a varnish.Cleaned and lubed with good oil it worked till next summer. It took three summers with the same cleaning to get rid of all the crap oil.
Posted By: wheeler45

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/03/2011 6:09 PM

I have been using a Midway vibratory brass cleaner for more than ten years without a problem. In decent weather I shoot weekly and clean the brass each time.
Posted By: 460Encore

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/03/2011 6:35 PM

I have a Lyman tumbler the been used pretty heavy for two year and I have had no problems with it.
Posted By: doulos

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/03/2011 9:39 PM

I bought a Thumblers Tumbler about 9 years ago. they are bulit like tanks and very versatile. You can use wet ceramic media or dry media. Ive used both. The ceramic is good for larger cases like .44 and up. In one hour your brass looks brand new.
Posted By: briarhopper

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/03/2011 9:50 PM

I have one I bought from Cabela's about 10 years ago, have never had a problem. I'll have to double check, don't remember the brand. It's Cabelas green, though :).
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/04/2011 1:42 PM

I have the same one. My Cabelas tumbler has worked well for me for the past 8 years.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/04/2011 9:25 PM

I have a Lyman tumbler that is over twenty years old, and another Lyman, along with a super size Dillon that are 15+years old and have never had a problem with any of them using liquid, corn cob, or walnut media. I suggest that you contact Lyman about your tumbler problem because that is not typical service from their tumblers.
Posted By: Tobias_Dunlap

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/05/2011 2:57 AM

Originally Posted By: doulos
I bought a Thumblers Tumbler about 9 years ago. they are bulit like tanks and very versatile. You can use wet ceramic media or dry media. Ive used both. The ceramic is good for larger cases like .44 and up. In one hour your brass looks brand new.

Thumlers are the way to go. They work very quickly and are very quiet.

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/05/2011 4:13 PM

Midway has a sell on Lyman tumblers right now, so I ordered another.Checking all the reviews(on Midway)the Lyman tumblers do seem to be one of the best.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/05/2011 8:15 PM

I still think it is worth an e-mail to Lyman. They replaced a 15 year old reloading press for me because the framecracked.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/05/2011 9:35 PM

The worst they could say is "no."

Re: Brass Tumblers - 04/09/2011 2:15 PM

I kept the old bowls/large and small for the new one and threw away the old unit.I had kept the old unit in my garage where I do my reloading and am thinking that the condensation could have been the reason for the motor locking up.The new unit will go in my house when done with it.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums