Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? #95151 11/14/2011 2:22 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Does anyone know anything about this round? My wife's uncle said he is getting a FN handgun (called the FN FiveseveN) in this caliber to use as concealed carry.

Any thoughts???

Last edited by raptortrapper; 11/14/2011 2:23 AM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: Raptortrapper] #95156 11/14/2011 3:05 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Not what I would consider for CC, but I do know of a couple guys with 'Tender barrels chambered in it.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: s4s4u] #95175 11/14/2011 7:27 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I wondered if it was more for varmit shootin and whatnot. Seems a bit small to be counted on for cc to me. He was saying the balistic tip makes it effective though, and that it has very little recoil, and has a 20 round clip in it. Just not sure about all this. Need to go see the handgun he is talking about too. I'm thinkin I'll stick with the .45 though.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: Raptortrapper] #95181 11/14/2011 12:09 PM
tyler.woodard04 Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
I wondered if it was more for varmit shootin and whatnot. Seems a bit small to be counted on for cc to me. He was saying the balistic tip makes it effective though, and that it has very little recoil, and has a 20 round clip in it. Just not sure about all this. Need to go see the handgun he is talking about too. I'm thinkin I'll stick with the .45 though.

Magazine

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: tyler.woodard04] #95209 11/14/2011 5:17 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Raptor,

I have one of the FN 5.7's - fun gun to shoot, great trigger for a stock semi-auto, and lightweight gun if he chooses to carry. There are a couple of LE depts that carry it (or option it) as their duty weapon, but personally I like a little more "Umpph" for a CC gun. Little bullets are moving FAST out of that semi though...

Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: SChunter] #95212 11/14/2011 5:50 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
I do believe the design for this cartridge was to minimize pass through and collateral damage to unintended targets, and a bottle neck design to ensure superior feeding. Probably with proper bullet selection to also defeat some level of body armor? It was intended to be niche round for LE.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: Bearbait in NM] #95236 11/14/2011 9:09 PM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
Check the pistol ballistics. It is about equivalent to a .22 magnum rifle. I have fired them and found them to be accurate with minimal recoil. I would not trust my life to it.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: wheeler45] #95250 11/15/2011 2:31 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I can't believe how many people on here are so anal about terminology!! Clip, magazine, bullet holder, cartridge dispenser, AMMUNITION RESERVE!!! Does it really matter?! Oh, and notice how I didn't abreviate to the more commonly used term of "AMMO" just so you terminology nazis would be sure to understand the EXACT word I was refering to.

This is rediculous... There is nothing more discouraging, and obviously upsetting, to me than being corrected over STUPID NIT PICKING terminology. Its every day language folks. Ya get the point! Or should I say YOU instead of "Ya" just to make sure we're on the same page? I come to this website for help with handguns and handgun hunting, not for a gunsmith class. Maybe I'm at the wrong websight.

It is OK if I call them guns isn't it? Or do I need to be more specific on that also? Perhaps I should call them a "Revolving bullet launching and aiming device"?? Or a "Quickly repeating lead slinger"? Good grief.....

Sorry moderaters for coming unglued. I'm done now, and don't worry, I won't be posting anything again.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 11/15/2011 3:14 AM.

Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: Raptortrapper] #95257 11/15/2011 3:01 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
I can't believe how many people on here are so anal about terminology!! Clip, magazine, BULLET HOLDER!!!! Ya get the point. This is rediculous...

Is it OK if I call them guns, or do I need to be more specific on that also? Perhaps I should call them a "Revolving bullet launching and aiming device"?? Or a "Quickly repeating lead slinger"? Good grief.....

Goodness sakes, don't get yer undies in a bunch now....

I hate the "C" word as well ;-)

Rod, too.

Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: s4s4u] #95277 11/15/2011 6:25 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I know I am going to be made fun of stating this… but... look up: clip, magazine, cartridge dispenser, bullet holder or ammunition reserve in the dictionary… (a LOOOOT of people mislabel a “clip” for what it really is. It would be like saying my TC is a bolt action… LOL)

I am not trying to be a smart-but, what I am saying is this: life is short and don’t take things so personal!!!!!!!!! If you worry about the small stuff you will never be happy in life, and you will wear it on your shoulders. Some one made a comment and without the nonverbal communication to read or interpret it is VERY hard to distinguish how a comment should be viewed. P.s. I thought the same way you did until I was at the range and some one ed-u-mi-cated me on what a clip really was!

Sorry to split hairs and count freckles, but I get on this sight to learn and trade information! I can’t learn anything until I humble myself. I also can’t count how many times I have fallen on my face here…

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: TCTex.] #95278 11/15/2011 6:52 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've talked to raptortrapper many times and he's new to our sport and dosn't have alot of technichal knowledge as many of us do although alot of us use improper or slang terms also. I don't think him getting upset was from just this post but more from a pattern of blunt or rude corrections. We as a group on here need to remember that there are all skill and knowledge levels and there was a time whether it was when you were 10 or 50 that you didn't know proper terminology either. I don't know that any discourteous intent was meant or not on this post but we need to be aware that we can alienate people in a hurry if we're not carefull especially since it's hard to determine intent or tone from typed words. We need to be trying to bring in new people to the sport not alienate them. No body knows everything and the person that thinks they do is a fool. I hope raptortrapper will be back because we need to grow this sport if we want companies to develop products that benefit us. I also have another question if it really matters why is it that my ak's, glock's, 1911's etc use magazines why is it the other day in the store I saw 10/22 mags marketed on the package as bannana clips. Point is we all know what someone means when they say clip but if you want to correct them make sure to add enough so they know your doing it thoughtfully to help them learn, there are already enough ego's running around here to run people off without making careless mistakes.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: Raptortrapper] #95286 11/15/2011 2:45 PM
Mark Schronce Offline
wapitirod,

Well said. I have been out of shooting handguns for almost 20 years. I just got back into this year. A lot of thing have changed in 20 years. This site has been a big help getting back up to speed.

Mark

Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: wapitirod] #95314 11/15/2011 10:15 PM
ButcheN Offline
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
I've talked to raptortrapper many times and he's new to our sport and dosn't have alot of technichal knowledge as many of us do although alot of us use improper or slang terms also. I don't think him getting upset was from just this post but more from a pattern of blunt or rude corrections. We as a group on here need to remember that there are all skill and knowledge levels and there was a time whether it was when you were 10 or 50 that you didn't know proper terminology either. I don't know that any discourteous intent was meant or not on this post but we need to be aware that we can alienate people in a hurry if we're not carefull especially since it's hard to determine intent or tone from typed words. We need to be trying to bring in new people to the sport not alienate them. No body knows everything and the person that thinks they do is a fool. I hope raptortrapper will be back because we need to grow this sport if we want companies to develop products that benefit us. I also have another question if it really matters why is it that my ak's, glock's, 1911's etc use magazines why is it the other day in the store I saw 10/22 mags marketed on the package as bannana clips. Point is we all know what someone means when they say clip but if you want to correct them make sure to add enough so they know your doing it thoughtfully to help them learn, there are already enough ego's running around here to run people off without making careless mistakes.

+1

I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge— - 1 Corinthians 1:4-5
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: ButcheN] #95315 11/15/2011 10:22 PM
dc74 Offline
old hand
old hand
WELL SAID ROD.

shoot it if its still coming shot it again!!!
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: dc74] #95317 11/15/2011 10:49 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
And just to clarify I'm talking about myself too. A little while back I allowed myself to get baited into a mud slinging fest instead of holding the high ground and I was in the wrong for doing so.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: wapitirod] #95322 11/15/2011 11:57 PM
ButcheN Offline
And just to clarify I'm talking about myself too. A little while back I allowed myself to get baited into a mud slinging fest instead of holding the high ground and I was in the wrong for doing so.

Brother I think we all have. I know I have, till I saw what I was doing and just backed away and let it go. "Just let him think he is right" my wife said. Sometime even wife's are right. (LOL just a joke, I don't want hate mail. Please.)

I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge— - 1 Corinthians 1:4-5
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: TCTex.] #95335 11/16/2011 3:29 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
raptor..,

The 5.7x28 was developed by FN as a PDW ( personal defense weapon ) in the handgun ( FiveSeven ) and the P90 carbine, for military spec ops. The concept was to create a round that could defeat soft body armor. The penetrator round is available to LE ( law enforcement ) and military only. It is easier to push a "needle" ( 22 cal bullet ) through armor than a "pumkin." Nidal Hassan blasted 19 of our finest, killing 13 at Ft. Hood with the pistol and round, screaming in arabic " God is great." The official Obama investigation, all 49 pages, makes no mention of "Islamic" terrorism. Sorry for the rant,the murders of our military personnel really bother me!
Anyway, the 5.7x28 is about equivalent, power wise to the 22 hornet.

Doc

Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: doc with a glock] #95336 11/16/2011 4:45 AM
punkinslinger Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Raptor,

To answer your original question, that is if you're still out there lurking, I don't know alot about the gun other than I have one, and what I have read, it is a screamer for a short barrel semi. It is a sweet shooter, mild report, recoil and fairly light weight, even with a fully loaded 20 round clip, yup, that is what I call it. I bought mine for calling coyotes, once the ground gets hard and white here on the bald headed prairie, I'll give a report. Will also be carrying as a side arm while out deer hunting this weekend, maybe I will get to test it on a critter.

The good Lord gives us "Life" a "Window Of Opportunity" what we do with this opportunity, defines who we are and what we become.
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: wapitirod] #95394 11/17/2011 3:47 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Gents, GOOD FORUM GETTING BACK ON SUBJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RaptorTapper, Every gun/round has its own nitch, it is up to YOU to figure out if this one fits you or not. That is one of the best things about this sight, you can ask all the questions you want and still do what the heck you want to!

Rod, that is one of the things I was trying to say, you just put it more succinctly than I did… LOL

We have to realize how many people from different backgrounds we have here on the forum. Just from the cultural differences someone could say something at would seem offensive to someone else. (EG, I really offended a Vet here when I posted I was performing on Veterans Day… they didn’t realize I was in the Navy Band and that was my job… It was an honor to be able to play.) [Exactly what we talked about James… minus the colorful descriptors that were utilized…] We have to take things with a grain of salt sometimes and “turn the other check" when needed. Or better yet, give them the benefit of the doubt. Lets face it, most of us come here to learn, NOT to intentionally insult. There are some users on this form that have the best of intentions AND WANT TO HELP, they just come across a little ruff around the edges sometimes.

Now... I will try to not shoot this dead horse any more so I am going to shut up and put my self in the corner before Dan makes me put the dunce hat on… LOL

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: TCTex.] #95400 11/17/2011 5:05 PM
tyler.woodard04 Offline
addict
addict
well sorry for starting that! its just one of those things that the media keeps calling by the wrong name and so the public now thinks that is what it is. again sorry for the correction of terms

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: tyler.woodard04] #95401 11/17/2011 5:15 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Dude, that is the thing... I bet you didn’t even mean it the way it was interpreted… I am saying that because you are being a stand up guy right now and apologizing!!!

Think about it this way, keep this thread in mind and think about your favorite heart surgeon. Would you want them working on you or your loved one if they didn’t know what in the world they were talking about… or even being anal? Absolutely I want them to be anal!(Unless they are operating threw the anus…) LOL I hope we are all that anal when it comes to our safe gun handling, shooting, and especially, reloading practices… THAT is the point I have been trying to make…

Benjamin Franklin
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: tyler.woodard04] #95402 11/17/2011 5:27 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
again sorry for the correction of terms

You said what most of were thinking, so don't be sorry. I gave up educating the finer points such as that, because of the reaction it got, which was waaaay overblown IMO.

Rod, too.

Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: s4s4u] #95403 11/17/2011 5:53 PM
bfr4570 Offline
addict
addict
Man I thought I was on Sniper "HIDE" for a min
\:\)

THIS SPACE FOR RENT CASH ONLY.
Re: 5.7 x 28 Anyone know about it? [Re: Raptortrapper] #95453 11/18/2011 4:00 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Sorry moderaters for coming unglued. I'm done now, and don't worry, I won't be posting anything again.

I truly hope that is not the case, as everyone has something to offer. I have been in your shoes, as we all have and will continue to be, 'cause when we stop learning we are dead. I have had coaches, drill sarge's, and a father that didn't always take my feelings into consideration when 'edu-ma-catin' me, if you know what I mean. Like water off a duck's back, we just gotta let it slide.

It's all small potatoes.

Last edited by s4s4u; 11/18/2011 4:04 AM.

Rod, too.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod