Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Handgun video #114898 08/02/2012 6:02 PM
reflex264 Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
We recently discussed doing a handgun video. I talked to one of the camera men today to get the ball rolling before deer season gets here. I am open to all suggestion as far as content and such like. What do you gents think would make a good to watch video? reflex264

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Handgun video [Re: reflex264] #114899 08/02/2012 6:28 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Holy CRAP did you open a can of worms there!!! Good luck with this!!! I can hear it already...

I want quartering away shots, but no pass throughs. I want cast bullets only, but no quartering shots. I want shots from a tree stand, but ONLY pass throughs. I want stuff shot with H110 powder and small pistol primers...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

You guys KNOW I have every right to say that one!!!!

But in all seriousness, I'd be more than happy to watch anything you can get on film!

Last edited by raptortrapper; 08/02/2012 6:31 PM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Handgun video [Re: Raptortrapper] #114900 08/02/2012 6:32 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
Holy CRAP did you open a can of worms there!!! Good luck with this!!!

No kidding. We started filming one a couple of years ago with the support of Boar Hunter magazine, and I can tell you it is a lot of difficult work. We filmed an ad spot a couple of months ago as well and I applaud anyone who can make a feature length video and maintain their sanity. Not trying to discourage you, but really think it through before you embark on this quest. Now, if you want to film every time you hunt and compile your footage after a couple of years, that shouldn't be too bad.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Handgun video [Re: Whitworth] #114905 08/02/2012 9:51 PM
bfr4570 Offline
addict
addict
I got the popcorn.

We shot a short segment for a local show around here. 14 days for 14 seconds.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT CASH ONLY.
Re: Handgun video [Re: bfr4570] #114907 08/02/2012 10:33 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
WOW!!!! 14 days and got 14 seconds of useable footage! I wanna do a video and get sponsored by someone. At that rate, I'll have to hunt every day for the rest of my life to make a video!

WOOOHOOO!!!! Who wants to sponsor me??
\:D
\:D

Last edited by raptortrapper; 08/02/2012 10:34 PM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Handgun video [Re: Raptortrapper] #114921 08/03/2012 1:38 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Get in line behind me -- LOL!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Handgun video [Re: Whitworth] #114923 08/03/2012 2:11 AM
bfr4570 Offline
addict
addict
You spend a lot of time for very little show.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT CASH ONLY.
Re: Handgun video [Re: bfr4570] #114930 08/03/2012 12:46 PM
reflex264 Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
No problem with me. I can kill 3 deer a day and have 3 more hunters that can as well. I have hunted in front of cameras before so I know how it goes to get footage. If I stretch this long enough I will have hogs and bears as well. reflex264

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Handgun video [Re: bfr4570] #114943 08/03/2012 6:00 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: bfr4570
I got the popcorn.

We shot a short segment for a local show around here. 14 days for 14 seconds.

That sounds 'bout right.

Then when you get 30 or 40 hours of hunt scenes filmed, that will give you maybe 1 to 2 hours of usable footage. I did my own editing, and this was my first time ever, self-taught and all, and for each minute of video shown took about 4 to 5 hours of editing. (Voice-overs, sound editing, (loudness, timing) music - if any (I did), stills, transitions, credits, chapter markers, menu, etc. etc. (I think it's called editing lol). This is all my own experience. When I met Jim Shockey at SCI in April, I also talked to one of his cameramen and film editors, and we shared "rolling of the eyes" and a good laugh at what REALLY GOES ON behind the scenes making a hunting video. And he does it for a living.

Since you are asking, IMO you should have 2 cameras: one on the animal and one on the shooter. And film plenty of other footage in between and at the same time.

Here I will share a "secret:" After I went through 5 years or so of film footage and chose all the hunt scenes I wanted to use, I made a list of the conditions at the time for each one. For instance, antelope #xyz was shot at XXX yards, open terrain, sagebrush but rolling hills behind, (or in an open field, or in the greasewood with rocks behind), etc. The shooter was wearing blue jeans, (or camo pants or grey pants or) and green t-shirt (or blue flannel shirt or camo t-shirt or camo jacket) etc. Then that summer, (in some cases as many as 3 or 4 years after the HUNTING scenes were SHOT) we went back to Wyoming (or the hunting area in Colorado) and re-enacted the shooting scenes; with the shooter changing clothes in between the shooting scenes (just like Hollywood LOL) to match the clothing worn originally; AFTER locating a suitable filming location that matched the original conditions. And then when I got back and started editing all of THAT footage, since it was filmed during the summer whereas the actual hunt scenes were filmed during the fall, I had to COLOR CORRECT EVERYTHING TO MATCH UP.

If you shoot enough footage at the same time, and use two cameras, you shouldn't have that problem. All my original footage was shot without expectations of making a complete video, and I wanted to make it more watchable by editing in the shooter actually firing the pistol, coordinated with the instant of bullet strike. Apparently I did a pretty good job; as no one has mentioned anything looking "off;" matter of fact when I tell people this that have watched it they find it hard to believe. As mentioned in a previous post, it is a LOT of work.

LOL

Not trying to rain on your parade; rather just trying to give you a heads-up.

Best of luck.

Gregg

Re: Handgun video [Re: Whitworth] #114948 08/03/2012 6:59 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
Holy CRAP did you open a can of worms there!!! Good luck with this!!!

Not trying to discourage you, but really think it through before you embark on this quest. Now, if you want to film every time you hunt and compile your footage after a couple of years, that shouldn't be too bad.

Except for the editing!

Re: Handgun video [Re: Gregg Richter] #115498 08/11/2012 10:50 PM
Cookie125 Offline
I've been trying to film my deer hunts and haven't had much luck, this last year I thought I had the camera going when I got my trad archery doe but must have missed it with my shooting glove on, its tough at best when you're by yourself. so far the only hunts I've had turn out any good are a turkey hunt I filmed of my old roommate and a shot I made on an armadillo.

As for content on a video I think it would neat to make it a wide selection of game if possible, like say deer, both whitetails and mule deer, add the pronghorn, maybe calling predators like coyotes bobcats and fox. Maybe add some small game or varmints like p-dogs. I think variety in game would make for a fun video.

Re: Handgun video [Re: Cookie125] #115892 08/16/2012 10:37 PM
i.hunt Offline
stranger
stranger
I've done a little filming for production, deer with bow and turkey too... turned out pretty good too, plus edited own footage, got skills to run cam and edit but need some backing if ya know what I mean....

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod