Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contender Bi-pod #131585 04/22/2013 1:08 AM
DeerDad Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I working to gather a few things a little at a time for a trip out west hunting. I have seen several contenders and encores with bi-pods on them. Is it preferred to have a barrel mount or swivel stud mounted bi-pod. I have no experience with bi-pods. I am looking at a pronghorn then a mule deer trip. I also have to work on getting into better shape as well. Also how much ammo should I bring? I am thinking about bringing both my 375jdj and 30-30 with 100 rounds each.

Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: DeerDad] #131586 04/22/2013 1:18 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I would recommend a portable rest over a bipod. I would never attach anything to the barrel but the forend.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: s4s4u] #131599 04/22/2013 11:18 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
I would recommend a portable rest over a bipod. I would never attach anything to the barrel but the forend.

I agree. A backpack and shooting stick of some sort would be best for the Contender/Encore platform.

Also, 100 rounds would be plenty unless you plan on missing a bunch!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: Dan B.] #131606 04/22/2013 8:18 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've used both types of mounts but also prefer shooting sticks. I've use barrel mounts on a couple of Contender pistols and on an a AK47 and none showed any accuracy issues, all shot MOA and my 7-30 I had it on shot 1/2 MOA. Thoretically it is possible to alter the barrel harmonics and affect accuracy which is why the sling stud mount style is preferred.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: wapitirod] #131612 04/22/2013 11:32 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Regardless of where one mounts a bipod on a pistol, once zeroed with one attached it must remain attached or POI will change. I'd rather not carry that hunk of metal around all the time so default to bag, sticks or tripod.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: DeerDad] #131619 04/23/2013 3:40 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: DeerDad
I have seen several contenders and encores with bi-pods on them. Is it preferred to have a barrel mount or swivel stud mounted bi-pod. I have no experience with bi-pods. ....

Yes you probably have seen several pics with the bipods on the T/C's.

I and many of my hunters have used them successfully for many years. At one time Mr. J.D. Jones marketed his own bipod for use on the Contenders.

I attach the bipod (I prefer "Harris" brand) to the fore-end and find that sighting in and being consistent using the bipod does not affect accuracy in the negative. I have fired sub-MOA groups off of bipods in both .223 and 6.5 JDJ caliber Contenders. Many many prairie dogs, antelope and deer have fallen at the receiving end. I have found, however that above caliber .308, the heavier recoiling calibers do not work as well with that configuration. The heavier recoil tends to flex the bipod too much and it can actually tear out the fore-end screw.

As always, consistency is paramount in shooting any firearm. If you sight in with the bipod, shoot it the same way when hunting if at all possible to get the best shot placement. It will probably shoot somewhat differently off of a backpack or shooting stick, but I have found that in most situations it is not enough to affect "hunting accuracy," depending on the gun, load, and range; but it is wise to check by shooting the handgun that way in practice, just to be sure.

Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: Gregg Richter] #131638 04/23/2013 10:38 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I always had problems with bipods. Impact depended on surface bipod was on. Hard surface gave a "whip" to the barrel and caused shots to go 3-4" high. I gave up on them and switched to a backpack filled with medium hard pillows. I sight in off this and shoot of it, so the impact NEVER changes. You'd be surprised how versitile a backpack is. I've learned how to shoot them off fences, tree limbs, the ground, the sides of trees. Plus you have space between the pillows to store food, water, cameras. My pack has worked from Alaska to Africa. I never hunt without it and have made shots out to 550 yds. off it with my XPs, plus 718 yds. with a member's speciality pistol. The need for sandbags and portable rests does not exist anymore for me. The only extra thing I use are Stoney Point tripods with the extra arm attached for flat field shooting.

Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: wvhitman] #131653 04/24/2013 4:21 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'll second the back pack. I started using one 15 years ago and love it. I fill it two sets of heavy leather work gloves and a fleece jacket. The bottom of my pack is covered with a heavy piece of suede leather and has held up well to my revolvers as well.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: cfish2] #131654 04/24/2013 6:22 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
A good original question and some good responses, IMO.

Seeming like the Lone Ranger here, I directly addressed the original poster's question:

"...I have seen several contenders and encores with bi-pods on them. Is it preferred to have a barrel mount or swivel stud mounted bi-pod. I have no experience with bi-pods. .... "

I answered to the best of my actual field experience.

But
many have chosen to go elsewhere here. So I will opine there also:

I have no qualms about using a backpack to shoot off of, with revolver or single shot. That is addressed in my video, and I also include information there on the use of a blast shield.

For many many years I have also used backpacks; and among numerous other animals, killed two bull elk and my World Record Mule Deer with a T/C off of a backpack.

I chose to answer the original question, and my answer remains the same.

Once again, "consistency is paramount in shooting any firearm." This will address WV Hitmans response, whom I know as a friend.

Just another example of how hunting and shooting experiences can vary among the truly experienced hunters and shooters.

Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: Gregg Richter] #131822 04/29/2013 1:24 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I shot my 30 herrett once over my pack and now have one hell of a burn streak across it.

Re: Contender Bi-pod [Re: DeerDad] #132190 05/09/2013 1:22 AM
DeerDad Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I got my handgun hunting video in the mail and notice how little the bipods are used. I will buy a pair of shooting sticks. I was debating between bipod and tripod shooting sticks. After watching the video the bipod wins. Between the bipod and my backpack I will be good.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod