Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
elk hunting #137419 11/03/2013 12:46 AM
yosey12 Offline OP
OP Offline
My hunting buddy and I were given a surprise from our wives to schedule a hunt next Fall. We've been talking Alaska, but he has never done an elk hunt. We tend to do DIY hunts but would really like to do a horseback elk hunt in states like WY,MT, or Idaho,Utah. Being a couple of coastal boys from Maine we'd really like to do a western mountain type hunt. Any suggestions, outfitters, public land info, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time for your consideration.

Re: elk hunting [Re: yosey12] #137420 11/03/2013 1:29 PM
Subsciber Offline
If you haven't been building up preference points it's going to be very difficult to get a quality hunt with a real expectation of success in the states you mentioned. I'm sure they're some possibilities out there in those states that I'm not aware of but probably not many. Personally I would look to CO as they are much more liberal with their NR tags. You can get a "back country" hunt there with reasonable chances of harvesting a decent bull. My advice is to do some research and stick with your goal of a "back country hunt" and not be talked into just a guided hunt where you will usually only kill an elk no better than you would otherwise but without the "back country" experience.

Last edited by Subsciber; 11/03/2013 1:31 PM.
Re: elk hunting [Re: Subsciber] #137738 11/15/2013 5:24 PM
FN in MT Offline
stranger
stranger
I live in Central MT. So I can be of service with some general information. check out the MT FWP page regarding regulations.

http://fwp.mt.gov/

They MAY still send out the various rules manuals, but if not, drop me a name and address and I will forward one.

One needs to APPLY for your out of state tags early in the Spring. They are then DRAWN by a computer and if you are not drawn you build a preference point. Usually within a few years you will get drawn. If You have a buddy or two also going...apply as a PARTY. Enhances your chances..if one gets drawn...You ALL get a tag.

As far as the Back Country stuff....Adding horses, mules and tents into the formula adds expense, as well as opportunities for disaster. I'm not a big fan of horses or mules I prefer my own two feet on private Ranch property. NOT going to debate the back country experience, but I can surely help you with anything related to MT.

FN in MT

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod