Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shooting a T/C Contender with a Sling #158197 04/14/2015 11:19 PM
MolonLabe Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I recently acquired a G1 Contender with a "Super 14" .223 Rem barrel and a Bushnell Elite 2x6 (long eye-relief) scope. I bought the GrovTec Contender sling mount kit and installed the 1" Uncle Mike's sling from the grip screw stud to the front stud of the forearm.

What is the proper way to use the sling while shooting offhand with a long eye relief scope? Right now, if I adjust the sling out the whole way the gun rests below my waistline while carrying. Is that normal?

Any advice, help or pictures would be great!

Re: Shooting a T/C Contender with a Sling [Re: MolonLabe] #158200 04/15/2015 12:07 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
This is how i do it. Not that its necessarily "proper".... But has worked great for me. This particular sling shortens up real nice to allow this position. I hang it on my shoulder or around my neck when packing.
http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1831&ppuser=514

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Shooting a T/C Contender with a Sling [Re: KYODE] #158205 04/15/2015 3:21 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
I sling across the left shoulder with gun hanging under the right arm (shooting hand) barrel facing forward. Sling long enough to quickly pull up at arms length and shoot. Adjust the sling so you can push out against the sling and tightly lock in place with a 2 hand hold. I do this even when a rest is available for added stability. I have made quite a few offhand kill shots like this with the longest being unsupported at 165 yds on a nice whitetail buck. It really works well with a tripod or monopod or even the side of a tree. When walking the gun does hang below the waist but I usually have it in my hand or I push it to my back and draw my belt gun if walking / stalking in thick cover. I have been carrying this way for over 30 years.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 130 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod