Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contender Question ?? #10592 10/15/2005 2:39 PM
Rupe/PA Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A friend of mine has an older Contender frame (one with the cross bolt in the hammer) and three barrels that he has purchased at different time. He has shot all three barrels on this frame. The other day he went to the range and found that two of the barrels would not lobk up , allowing the hammer to fall completely, but the 22 LR barrel would , as always. Does this sound like a problem with the locking lugs not matching with the frame or another problem with the frame ? As I mentioned, all three barrels were fired on this frame before. Need your help.

Rupe

Re: Contender Question ?? [Re: Rupe/PA] #10593 10/15/2005 3:04 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
If they worked previously on this frame then I would look at 2 things: dirt, and a weak bolt spring on the barrels. If he has shot a lot of heavy loads with one of the other barrels then it's possible that the frame has been stretched. You should be able to see signs of frame stretching if you look down the side of the frame above the logo. If there are noticible ripples or waves in the steel then it has been stretched.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Contender Question ?? [Re: Rupe/PA] #10594 10/17/2005 7:26 PM
Cossack Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Does sound like a dirt issueor bolt. The frame has a hammer block bar which is activated by the bolt (the projection at the back of the barrel). The tolerance between second generation frame and third generation barrel could be so marginal that dirt is preventing the hammer block from slipping into place. The fact that one barrel isn't affected may only mean that it has a slightly longer bolt. Fist thoroughly clean the inside of the frame using a solvent like brake cleaner and compressed air (9after removing the grip). Also, sice the barrels were purchased at different times, the three that won't work could have a one piece bolts. These should be replaced with 2 piece bolts available from TC. Such a bolt cost me a trophy buck once when it failed to activated the hammer block ..... it previously had done so during warmer weather.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 133 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod