Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Taking guns to Africa #1159 03/08/2004 9:46 PM
Ed P 6989 Offline OP
OP Offline
Is it OK to have two Encores frames and three barrels in one gun case. I'm debating whether to take my .416 along for the eland and the 35-06 and 260 for the rest of the animals. The only thing I worry about is losing everything to theft or some other unrecoverable scenario.

Re: Taking guns to Africa [Re: Ed P 6989] #1160 03/08/2004 10:00 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Ed, I have in the past taken 3 handguns to South Africa. I assume that's the country you're inquiring about. It is my understanding that they consider a frame with 2 barrels as 2 guns. Now for the tricky part... It is also my understanding that you are currently only allowed to bring in two rifles. They are undergoing some recent (Since Jan 1) changes in the firearms laws and what exactly this means to hunters wanting to temporarily import handguns for hunting is unclear at least to me. It's my understanding that residents are only allowed to own one handgun and that they must jump through a lot of hoops to get the permit for that one. Will that law carry over to us? Big Question. I can't imagine they would let me bring 3 handguns when the rifle guys are limited to 2 but who knows. I don't think we're going to like the answer but we may get away with 3 for another year since there seems to be a lot of confusion over the law concerning handguns. I would strongly suggest that you have your PH contact PHASA several weeks prior to your departure and have them try to get an answer from SAPS. That's about the best I can offer until someone gets some first hand experience this season. I'm going in late July so hopefully someone else will be going before me and test the limit. As of right now I plan on taking 3 and hopefully I won't have to decide which ones stay with the police.

It's for this reason that I try to convince people who want to hunt Africa that they had better make plans soon because I don't think things are going to get any easier and we may lose South Africa on handguns in the relatively near future.

Last edited by Gary; 03/08/2004 10:04 PM.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Taking guns to Africa [Re: Gary] #1161 03/09/2004 1:10 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
It just goes to show you that the world is going down the tubes, and they just don't understand! As soon as someone says 'Handgun', panic and paranoia sets in. I really believe that we will see hunting as we know it now, take many changes in the very near future. Please, I urge everyone to vote for Senator Kerry in the upcoming election. (TEASER) I Hear that if he can't win the Presidency, he's going to try and get appointed as Ambassador to Viet Nam! Everyone better wake-up! They are on a divide and conquer parade right now. They're on a spree right preaching and portraying the NRA and members as terrorists! Get all your hunter-friends out there and get them to vote for Bush. If Kerry wins, you lose!! Sorry for the rant. I am very angry and this politicking against hunting is the last straw. Does everyone think that because you want to bring a few guns to Africa that you want to kill people? or commit crime? Oh, I get it. Africa doesn't want some God-fearing American hunter coming down there with a TV Encore and taking on a bunch of rebel thugs armed with FALs and rocket launchers. The world is a dangerous place. Crazy too.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Taking guns to Africa [Re: Gary] #1162 03/09/2004 4:08 AM
TomC Offline
Good Question! I am in the same quandry as you Gary. I asked my travel agent- Susan at Gracy Travel, and she told me that one is allowed to bring 1 "self defense" type handgun, whatever that means, and as many as 5 hunting handguns. I don't think she is correct about that number. I guess I'll bring 3 and like Gary, hope that one doesn't have to stay in police custody. But then African authorities can be "persuaded" with a couple of bucks slipped discreetely under the table.

Re: Taking guns to Africa [Re: TomC] #1163 03/09/2004 3:21 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
The 5 probably comes from the South African Air (SAA) website. As far as they are concerned you can board the plane with 5. If I understand our US laws you can only enter the US with 3 on your return. SAA doesn't care what happens when you try to go through customs on either end.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Taking guns to Africa [Re: Gary] #1164 03/09/2004 9:22 PM
TomC Offline
Gary, you are correct about the SAA website saying 5 handguns. Since you are going in July, and I'm going in Aug., looks like you get to do some recon and see what the situation really is. Hopefully it is 3 handguns, or I'm going to have a heck of a time making the decision on which gun has to stay home.

Taking guns to Africa - Update [Re: Ed P 6989] #1165 03/23/2004 9:57 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I spoke with my PH, Bobby Hansen, yesterday and he checked with PHASA about how many handguns you're allowed to bring in. They are saying three. So hopefully those of us taking two or three won't find any surprises when we get there.

Gary

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 62 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod