Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
safe #13030 02/06/2006 3:18 PM
patch Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
My son was looking at a gun safe in Cabelas this weekend.This one had the keypad that runs on a 9 volt.He asked three people what happenes when battery goes dead.No one knew what happens or if you could still get into the safe.Anyone own one of these with the keypads.Will it go back to a default number,a memory to save the number or what?Thanks for any help.

Re: safe [Re: patch] #13031 02/06/2006 4:24 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
It would depend, I'm sure, on the brand of the lock. Some beep when the battery gets low. I think a good question too would be how many have had problems with the electronic lock not working.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: safe [Re: Gary] #13032 02/06/2006 6:09 PM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
on the subject of safes: he needs to pay attention to where he places it in the house.
the safe needs to be on the lowest floor of the structure.
The reason is this: If the safe is on an upper level of the structure and you have a fire under it, it will not be long before the safe comes crashing trough and if a team of fire fighters are operating on the floor below it will kill them!
Now for the battery issue, tell your son to look for a high quality safe with a key back up, this way if for some reason the battery dies you can still use the key. also look for one that has a plug inside so you can put in a dehumidifier rod and get one with lights in it you will not be sorry

Re: safe [Re: RickyP] #13033 02/06/2006 8:24 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I can't speak for gun safes in particular but I have been an automotive tech for 20yrs and I'm sure most of you have seen the keyless entry systems on the fords with the key pads. These systems were very prone to failure, now whether or not it is the same technology I can't say but if it weren't for the keyed backup there would be alot of people still trying to get in their cars

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: safe [Re: patch] #13034 02/08/2006 5:38 PM
hntrjohn Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ok here goes--This is from a dealer here in NY that sells safes---When the battery begins to go low it will beep to the point of driving you nuts for 30 days. If it goes completely dead, there is a capacitor which holds the combination in memory for six months. When you replace the battery you have to wait for approximately 10 minutes for it to recharge itself and there you go. If you know your going to be gone for a period of 6 months or more and havent replaced the battery in a while, replace it with a new strong battery.

Re: safe [Re: hntrjohn] #13035 02/08/2006 8:53 PM
Feldhege Offline
My safe has a electronic lock. It does beep when the battery needs changing. It also has the battery compartment on the outside under the lock. All the electronics are inside the safe except for the two wires to the battery. I could change it if it died. It also has a capacitor to remember the code and I also have to wait a few minutes after changing the battery before it is ready. Hope that helps. My safe is a Heritage Fortress series safe.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod