Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What do you think about heavier hammer springs? #23094 12/15/2007 3:41 PM
encoreguy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Do you think a heavier hammer spring to speed up lock time is a good thing or bad in the Encore? I know that disruptiom as the hammer hits can adversly affect accuracy. But not sure it that applies here?

You learn more by pretending to know nothing than by pretending to know everything.
Re: What do you think about heavier hammer springs? [Re: encoreguy] #23096 12/15/2007 4:31 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I don’t think you could speed it up enough to make a difference. I also don’t know if putting a heavier spring in it would ware on the other parts improportionaly. I have thought about ordering some custom parts for my Encore pistol, but when my 22-250 is shooting 3/8 groups at 100, I can’t argue with the accuracy.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: What do you think about heavier hammer springs? [Re: TCTex.] #23097 12/15/2007 4:41 PM
encoreguy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: TCMan
I don’t think you could speed it up enough to make a difference. I also don’t know if putting a heavier spring in it would ware on the other parts improportionaly. I have thought about ordering some custom parts for my Encore pistol, but when my 22-250 is shooting 3/8 groups at 100, I can’t argue with the accuracy.

Duane

No since in messing with what works. When ever I try that, I can never get back to where I started. \:\( I know Mike B. recommends them after a trigger job is done. I have never had a problem with my 9 year old Encore muzzleloader that Bullberry did a trigger job on, so I would only consider it if I really think it would shorten lock times. I have replaced springs on some bolt actions which consisted of lighter firing pins and heavier spings. I don't mind spending money if it improves things, but if it doesn't I need all the money I can get to afford todays ammo and ammo component prices.

You learn more by pretending to know nothing than by pretending to know everything.
Re: What do you think about heavier hammer springs? [Re: encoreguy] #23099 12/15/2007 7:28 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I don't know about encores but I use them in all my ruger single actions and when I had contenders I used them. I found with the contender it reduced eliminated misfires and with my rugers I was actually surprised at how much of a difference they made, you are only gaining a fraction of a second but it is amazing what a fraction will do especially shooting off hand. I figure companies like wolff wouldn't be in business if there wasn't something to gain by using the products they make. I normally combine the heavy hammer spring with a lighter trigger spring and for the t/c stuff I'd contact Bellm.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: What do you think about heavier hammer springs? [Re: wapitirod] #23100 12/15/2007 7:44 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Wapitirod, I wouldn’t bring this up if you didn’t mention the Encore, I think the hammer spring in the Contender is slower than that of the G2 and Encore. Having all three, I went and played with them. That crispness is one of the reasons I think my wife likes the G2 better than the Contender. I guess I am use to shooting the old flintlock. The delay doesn’t bother me as much as most.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: What do you think about heavier hammer springs? [Re: TCTex.] #23122 12/16/2007 7:43 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Duane, I think that is another factor that is overlooked, each shooter has to experiment and find what works for them. I may find that a 24lb hammer spring in my Ruger works great but another guy or especially a woman may want a lighter than factory spring around 17lb because it's easier to cock, and some guys are steady enough that it just dosn't matter, unfortunately I'm not the steadiest guy around.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: What do you think about heavier hammer springs? [Re: wapitirod] #23128 12/16/2007 10:43 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Works for me!! I like it when the users on this form can have good conversation. By the way, that is the first thing my wife noticed about the G2, she could actually open it with out help.

Duane

Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod