Print Thread
scope sighting big bore revolvers #33326 08/16/2008 3:34 PM
dorson Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Howdy,
I am getting ready to mount a scope on my super redhawk in .480
,this will be the first scope I have mounted and sighted on any type of handgun.I have looked around on the net and the best way I can figure to mount the scope properly on the gun is the same technique I have used on a few rifles.Essentially leveling the gun in a vise and setting the scope in the rings and aligning the vertical crosshair to a string tied to a plumb bob.
My biggest question at this time is ,when I get out to the range to sight in ,should I be just using sand bags as a rest or do I need to secure the gun in a rest of some type,and if the latter what type works?I guess I am concerned with recoil ripping the gun loose out of the cheap sight in vise I have used for rifles.
Also isn there any way to get on paper before shooting with out buying a bore sighter?I ask because I cant seem to find much that fits .475/.480 bore.
Thanks for any and all info in advance.
dorson

Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: dorson] #33328 08/16/2008 4:13 PM
500 Mag. Dave Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I like too sight in the way I'll be shooting. I hunt only I don't comp shoot so I always sight in on bags because when I'm hunting it's either on sticks or resting on something. Just my 2 cents. As for as bore sight, I alwas just start off at 20yrds and take notes and work my way up. I'm sure someone has something on that line just look around on net. Good Luck.

S&W500 MAG PC 10 1/2" 2.5-8X32 Leupold
RUGER RED HAWK 41 MAG 7 1/2" Red Dot
I pistol hunt JUST FOR KICKS!!!!
Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: dorson] #33329 08/16/2008 4:19 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
You definitely don't want to put the gun in any sort of vise type of sight in aid. Handguns are different than a rifle and how the gun is allowed to recoil can dramatically affect the point of impact. Changing your grip can even cause a change. You can use sandbags or a rest to support the barrel but only use rear bags to support your wrists and not the butt of the gun. A revolver will also eat a sandbag in pretty short order from hot gasses exiting between the barrel & cylinder if you don't protect it a little, I use a piece of cardboard as a blast shield. Start out at 20 yards or so to get the gun on paper and just start adjusting the sights as you go.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: Gary] #33331 08/16/2008 4:47 PM
dorson Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Excellent responses,
both of you covered all of my questions and concerns.
It definately makes sense to sight in the way you shoot.
And I am very happy that I now know better than to try and use a sight vise.I had some big worries about that.And good to find out to only support my wrists with bags.I was wondering what the recoil would do to the grips if supported on the bench.
Thanks for all the information,I will be much more confident of what I am doing during the sight in now,Thanks.
dorson

Last edited by dorson; 08/16/2008 5:08 PM.
Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: dorson] #33333 08/16/2008 6:03 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
A lot of people don’t realize that slings can and will do the same thing. You are right Dorson, Gary and 500 Mag Dave had VERY good responses. I think the most important thing is to practice like you plan to hunt. Make games that will challenge you and test your skills.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: Gary] #33335 08/16/2008 7:30 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I sight in alot like Gary in the picture. The barrel rests on a support very lightly, just enough pressure to stabilize the gun. Then I rest my elbows on the bench. That way the gun recoils just like in the field from shooting stix or if I'm sitting down and resting my elbows on my knees. This helps keep the POI the same from the bench to the field. Practice in different positions and different rests to become proficent.

A word of advice put a little padding between your elbows and the bench. The rcoil whip will make you elbows sore without it.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: Tigger] #33377 08/17/2008 1:26 AM
dorson Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I had not even thought of a sling.And after looking around on the internet the just sling it ,mountain sling looks ok.Seems like a sling could really steady a person in an offhand situation.I may be looking at slings pretty hard for awhile.
dorson

Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: Gary] #33381 08/17/2008 2:08 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Gary
Handguns are different than a rifle and how the gun is allowed to recoil can dramatically affect the point of impact. Changing your grip can even cause a change.

Man I am scatter brained. I actually meant the sling can change your point of impact. On my 20ga Black Powder it changes 6+ at 25 yards off hand.

On the other hand, they can be valuable tools if you have practiced with it and you know what it is going to do. KYODE is the one to PM about slings.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: TCTex.] #33393 08/17/2008 3:38 AM
dorson Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Actually I was reading on about page 140 of this forum and did run across a picture of the gentleman you mentioned.Fairly interesting how he uses his left arm in the sling to steady everything .It was/is very different from how I had envisioned using a sling with a handgun.I was thinking both ends attached to the grips/butt some way,and adjusted so that at arms length it would tighten up and help steady things.Guess I just need to get the scope mounted and get some trigger time trying different things.
dorson

Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: dorson] #33528 08/18/2008 11:40 PM
hntrjohn Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: dorson

Also isn there any way to get on paper before shooting with out buying a bore sighter?I ask because I cant seem to find much that fits .475/.480 bore.
Thanks for any and all info in advance.
dorson

Leupold makes a nice magnetic boresighter that works great. No arbor is needed. Also nice and compact to take along with you in the field in case you happen to bang your scope and or drop your firearm.

Re: scope sighting big bore revolvers [Re: hntrjohn] #33632 08/20/2008 1:14 AM
dorson Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I will have to look into a leupold magnetic bore sighter.With the price of ammo today it could pay for itself rather easily.
dorson

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod