Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stupid question on thompson contenders ,etc #38305 11/06/2008 2:42 AM
dorson Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I am wondering if thompson contendors or the encore's or similar single shot firearms (I know nothing about the interchangeable barrel type guns)are classified as handguns or if they are classified as rifles.
I ask just because in this state you have to get a permit to purchase handguns.They just do a background check for long guns.And considering recent events in politics I have no inclination to get myself on any handgun list.And if they classify them as long guns I may have try one of these types of firearms.
Also,what part of the gun is registered,...on an ar15 platform only the lower receiver is considered a gun.You can have all the parts and complete uppers you want shipped to your door

dorson

Re: Stupid question on thompson contenders ,etc [Re: dorson] #38306 11/06/2008 3:19 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
this has been brought up here before and from what has been said in the past the frames are designated at the factory as handgun or rifle and while it is legal to take a pistol frame and turn it into a rifle it is not legal to use a rifle frame for a pistol. Unfortunately that is the safe way to play it but from what I've seen from letters posted by other members from t/c and the ATF the two have differing views of the law. By the way that's definitely not a stupid question because making an honest mistake could cost you some jail time.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Stupid question on thompson contenders ,etc [Re: wapitirod] #38310 11/06/2008 3:29 AM
hunlee Offline
addict
addict
Yes this is good you ask question as jail in no place to be!!!!!!Hunlee has seen the error of his way and will never be sent back to jail!!!!!Hunlee is friend to all and is a true lover of woman!!!!!

hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: Stupid question on thompson contenders ,etc [Re: dorson] #38330 11/06/2008 2:25 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
By law you cannot make a rifle into a pistol, period, unless you want to apply for an AOW permit and pay for the $200 tax stamp. You can make a pistol into a rifle as long as the barrel is at least 16", or 18" if a shotgun.

Ny personal opinion on this is, as long as you don't kill someone with it or commit some other felony where you guns may be catalogued, you have little to worry about. I would have no qualmes about taking a convert into the deer woods here in MN as no official is going to run your serial while checking your tags. I am not saying you should, just that "I" wouldn't worry about it, here. You are taking your own future into your hands.

Another way around it is to have a barrel length long enough to achieve an OAL of 26", which qualifies as a rifle regardless of grip or stock. This would mean about a 21" barrel on a 'Tender which may get a bit unweildy.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Stupid question on thompson contenders ,etc [Re: s4s4u] #38335 11/06/2008 4:07 PM
GonHuntin Offline
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
By law you cannot make a rifle into a pistol, period, unless you want to apply for an AOW permit and pay for the $200 tax stamp.

No such thing as an "AOW permit". An AOW (any other weapon) cannot be made from a rifle, period.

A rifle, converted into pistol configuration, is a firearm subject to the National Firearms Act 1934 and would be classified as a short barreled rifle. There are no "permits" or licenses for NFA regulated weapons, there is a transfer tax that is paid when you purchase an NFA item.

Re: Stupid question on thompson contenders ,etc [Re: GonHuntin] #38407 11/07/2008 2:04 AM
dorson Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for the replies.Totally answers my question.
dorson

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 88 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod