Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
shooting positions #40484 11/29/2008 7:29 PM
burton302 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
First I'd like to say thanks for all the feedback from my previous question "Raging Bull vs. SBH". Over Thanksgiving I had the opportunity of doing some distance (50 yards) handgunning at my friend's range for the first time. My question is, in practicing these shots does everyone shoot from a braced/rested position? At my gun club I am limited to 20 yard shots and I am standing in a normal, unbraced position. In preparation for next whitetail season, should I be mainly shooting in field positions? Also what distances do you .44 shooters practice at? I am practicing with iron sights now but will soon be getting a scope, probably 2x. sorry for the lengthy question.

Re: shooting positions [Re: burton302] #40485 11/29/2008 7:46 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I generally use a bench and rests for sighting in, fine tuning, and load development but then I go to field positions, for me that's shooting sticks,rests of opportunity such as a tree or fence posts. With my contender I use a sling to support the gun while I shoot off hand and with my revolvers I will shoot off hand to about 30yds but with a scope shooting offhand will drive you nuts as it magnifies your unsteadiness. With a 2X I'll shoot out to 100yds but the target isn't very big, I would suggest if your going to be shooting past 75yds or so very much consider a 4x scope.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: shooting positions [Re: wapitirod] #40486 11/29/2008 8:00 PM
larry223 Offline
addict
addict
along with what wapitirod said but you should shoot all the ranges and positions and see what is good for you it may be 50yds or it maybe 100yds only you can tell what you are happy with.
larry

tc,s 223 35rem 7-30 waters 6.5jdj 375
30/30ai 6mm/223 22lr
encores 7mm-08 308
redhawk 44mag.
Re: shooting positions [Re: larry223] #40493 11/29/2008 9:31 PM
tred1956 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Welcome to HH. Experiment and see what works for you. However, the main way to become DECENT SHOT with a pistol is to SHOOT and SHOOT ALOT.

Safe shooting
Doug

Enjoy life but, remember we are only practicing for something better.
Re: shooting positions [Re: burton302] #40496 11/29/2008 10:17 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm like Rod, load development and site in off the bench. Then I practice in all kinds of field positions. I use a pair of homemade shooting stix, a small sand bag filled with rice, and bipods on some of my guns. Rests of oppertunity are also very handy. Large rocks, tree branches, round hay bales...ect. I also like to do a good bit of freehand shooting at 50 yards. During winter league some of the course is freehand at reactive targets and that helps alot.

I have used a couple 2X scopes and they were fine but I have switched most of them over to 4X on my revolvers. It takes a bit more practice but target acquistion can be quick with them. I shoot with both eyes open and it helps to bring the gun into the sight plain with out loosing the target.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: shooting positions [Re: Tigger] #40499 11/30/2008 1:23 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Man you are getting good advice! I would expect nothing less from this group!

Welcome to the forum!!!

Practice every way you can. 90% of my shoot have been off hand. I would MUCH rather have a nice rest, trust me, but I just have the tendency to see deer and hogs while walking around. Shooting instincts kick in and the next thing I know I am tagging game. For that reason I have to say practice like you plan to shoot and then some!

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: shooting positions [Re: TCTex.] #40614 12/01/2008 2:29 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
off hand and sitting on mt tail using my knee as a rest for my arm

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: shooting positions [Re: bluecow] #40814 12/02/2008 8:40 AM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
If i'm not backpack hunting i use a customized soft-sided stadium seat that gives excellent back support from the sitting position. What i do is reattach the female part of the side strap buckle (the 1 u tighten) closer to the seat so it gives me as much back support as possible. I then attach another Fastex snap on the ends of the side straps so i can carry it around my waist hands-free for miles out here on the high plains of CO.

When i sit in it i raise my knees and use a tall Harris bipod off the front of a specialty pistol, and brace my hands gripping the pistol behind my knees. This is almost as steady as a bench, and i have made shots out to 1000 yds. using this system (the seat also dbls. as an excellent 3/4 shooting mat when unsnapped).

Tho i've never tried it i bet using this sytem a guy could get about as accurate as possible with any handgun with a little practice.

Recently i've discovered another use for these seats. When i get 1 i also buy a burlap bag, to slip it into. They fit the bag perfectly and u can cut slits in the fabric for the attachments, and sew it all up. IMO, burlap is one of the best natural camoflage there is. I was stalking a pair of coyotes just last week and i found that if i unbuckle the side straps i could let the seat dangle in front of me and by crouch-walking in the open prairie with no cover, i got within 300 yds. of them, and neither 1 saw me, since the burlap blended in so well with the prairie. IMO, this sytem is 1 of the best shooting aids i've ever seen.

Steve
Re: shooting positions [Re: sscoyote] #40840 12/02/2008 4:43 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Burton302,

I decided you had a very worth while question, one we've seen before, so I wrote up an article on shooting positions. I still have a couple more photos to shoot but this should get you started in addition to the other great advise you've gotten from others.

Gary

Field Shooting Positions That Work

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: shooting positions [Re: Gary] #40873 12/03/2008 12:36 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The field position that works best for me is sitting on the ground,both knees up with the "straddle" type sandbag on top of my knees to give me a steady hold and protect against any cylinder gap blast.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 133 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod