Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Want to hunt with a handgun, need help #46352 02/03/2009 3:13 AM
lance Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Ok, for a second year I want to hunt with a handgun. I need a lot of work. I had my 4" taurus 41mag on a deer this last season, but could not hold steady enough to feel comfortable taking the shot so I took one with my rifle instead. What would be the best way to correct this? Keep in mind I have only shot 2 deer in my life. I know if I go ahead and shoot one it will help me get over it, but that first shot is going to be difficult. Any tips? Also, I can't get to the range very often due to work and the distance I live from the range, so I need to practice as much at home as I can. Any opinions on which gun I should go with for my first big game hunt? My choices so far are a .357mag security six 6" barrel, a 41mag 4" barrel taurus, a 7.5" 44mag SBH, or a 8.325" 460XVR? Seems like I always shot best with my 44 with cast loads, but have not tried light loads in the 460.

Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: lance] #46356 02/03/2009 3:48 AM
lhunter03 Offline
addict
addict
I'd go with tha blackhawk, There good guns and plenty accurate. As for getting more steady I know what your talking about. I struggled with this concept for 2-3 years before I found what worked for me. I use a bi-pod on my super 14 contender if at all possible. If that won't work because of tall grass then I try to steady on a tree or shooting sticks. Just recently I started using a camera tri-pod. There light weight and super stable. So you just need to start with what you have and practice. You'll find what is best for you.

Lars

Last edited by lhunter03; 02/03/2009 3:49 AM.

Lars

.357 maxi, .375 win, 30-30 ackley, .450 marlin, and anything else that goes boom!!!
Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: lhunter03] #46357 02/03/2009 4:07 AM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I second the above comment. Learn to use a rest --- any type of rest. Practice with "field" rests. Makes all the difference for me.

If you shoot the 44 well, look no further. Consider putting a dot sight or even a scope on it. But learn to use a rest, even if it is just your knees. With a scope, your movements are magnified. But when you get steady, your confidence grows. Shoot a lot.

Good hunting.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: wtroper] #46360 02/03/2009 4:30 AM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Lance,

I third the suggestion on the .44 mag. Then you just have to practice with it until you are confident in your ability to hit a target. The buck fever is just going to have to work out, but you are correct; once you a couple under your belt things should get a bit easier.

Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: wtroper] #46361 02/03/2009 4:35 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: lance
Also, I can't get to the range very often due to work and the distance I live from the range, so I need to practice as much at home as I can.

Yes practice and more practice are key. Muscle memory from practice will help with steadyness and control. There are lots of things you can do right at home to practice. Put up pictures on the wall from hunting mags. Then practice shooting positions from across the room. Use snap caps and dry fire at the pictures. Watch TV and draw on animals on hunting shows.

I recently have had to strengthen my muscles to get back my grip and steadness. I have a set of hand grips, the one that you squeeze. I also have a piece of flat latex that's about 4 feet long. I wrap that around the back of my leg and then grip both ends like a revolver stock and stretch it up to the ready position and hold it. This helps build the muscles for more control when freehand shooting.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: Tigger] #46364 02/03/2009 5:04 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Get a good air gun and a pellet trap to get in some practice at home. I use my sons Crosman 1377 and practice field shooting positions with it. You might want to pick up a .22lr handgun similar to the set-up you hunt with also. I have been amazed at how much practicing and hunting small game with .22s has improved my accuracy with big bore guns. When you can get to the range, a brick of .22 ammo provides a lot of practice with out putting a dent in the wallet. It will also help you focus on the shot and your form without the muzzleblast and recoil of larger rounds. You still have to practice with your main hunting rig, but the smaller guns will help. If you are able to hunt coyotes year round in your area that will give you more experience and help build confidence too. Good luck!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: Tigger] #46372 02/03/2009 12:36 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Tigger
 Originally Posted By: lance
Also, I can't get to the range very often due to work and the distance I live from the range, so I need to practice as much at home as I can.

Use snap caps and dry fire at the pictures. Watch TV and draw on animals on hunting shows.

Tig I think you are right on. That is the first thing that came to my mind after reading the post. Practice is key, practice makes perfect. BUT, perfect practice makes perfect performance. In short, you are getting great advice all the way around Lance!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: TCTex.] #46380 02/03/2009 2:26 PM
RUG1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The sight radius on the Ruger (7.5) will help your shots.Building on a strong foundation will help you establish good habits and good muscle control.
Practicing is the key like these men are sharing with you.

Freedom is a gift, paid for by blood. Given for all to receive.
Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: lance] #46381 02/03/2009 3:09 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Quote:
could not hold steady enough to feel comfortable taking the shot so I took one with my rifle instead. What would be the best way to correct this?

do a lot of shooting. start off from the bench and get lot's of trigger time n see just how tight you can get those bullets to cluster on paper. then ALSO start shooting offhand from simulated field positions. see how far out you can accurately place a "kill shot".
buying a 22lr handgun to get in TONS of cheaper practice would be a nice addition also.

get the sbh! the longer barrel should be easier to shoot, and imo the 460 is way too much gun to learn on. the 44mag is plenty enough! best to start with the 22lr
;\)

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: KYODE] #46389 02/03/2009 5:49 PM
liv2hnt460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you're interested in learning some handgun shooting positions to better your aim, Gary has posted a good article on various positions you can use in the field while hunting. You might want to check that out. Also, a good sturdy bi pod like the BOG-PODS Bi-pod or Safari Stix II Magnum will immediately improve your hold on game.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: liv2hnt460] #46424 02/04/2009 4:30 AM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
That article will help lots and get into hunting positions to practice.I very seldom bench shoot.I always get in a position I will be in at that moment of truth.You can't practice enough.But the more you do the better the end results will be.I am a product of that fact.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: cottonstalk] #46435 02/04/2009 2:14 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I would also suggest that you consider a visit to a hunting preserve this year prior to deer season and take an animal with your handgun - after you've done some more practicing. With some species you can get pretty close and that will build your confidence when a deer comes along this fall.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Want to hunt with a handgun, need help [Re: Gary] #46438 02/04/2009 2:54 PM
pter1020k Offline
addict
addict
all good advice if you follow it your long guns will get left at home to collect dust and you will still take game.Don't forget to go after woodchuck this summer. bring the .44 walking fields looking for chucks is a good way to stay in shape for deer season.After blasting a few ckucks or other small game deer sized targets will seem easy to hit.

Genesis chapter 1 verse 26

When shooting a single shot their are no warning shots.

Keith

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 127 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod