Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help me with frame gap and setting dies for my TC #48223 03/02/2009 1:12 AM
encoreguy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have the feeler gages but am not sure I am doing it right. With 1/2 of the feeler sticking out the top the .002 gage is tight, but if I move it up a little, I can slide it out and it takes a .004 to be tight in the top 1/8th of the barrel. Should you include the center part that contains the firing pin? I would think so since that is where the case head would hit.

On another note my fired brass now sticks out .004 to .005 from the barrel with my Mike B. gage. So if my gap is around .001 then I would want the case head flush. Does that sound right? It seems funny to me that before firing factory ammo was between flush and .002 above the end of the barrel and after firing it grew to .004 to .005 and that I would want to resize to flush or .001 above the barrel. Wouldn't I want it closer to what it ends up as to reduce case streaching? I was going to just use a Lee Collet die and not resize. What do you guys recommend? Sorry for all of the questions but reloading for break actions is new to me.

You learn more by pretending to know nothing than by pretending to know everything.
Re: Help me with frame gap and setting dies for my TC [Re: encoreguy] #48235 03/02/2009 4:10 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Encoreguy,

Take a look at Mike B's site. He goes into detail how to use his gage and what measurement to use. His site give a more elegant explanation than I.

Re: Help me with frame gap and setting dies for my TC [Re: doc with a glock] #48288 03/03/2009 2:58 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Quote:
Should you include the center part that contains the firing pin? I would think so since that is where the case head would hit.

YES

Quote:
On another note my fired brass now sticks out .004 to .005 from the barrel with my Mike B. gage. So if my gap is around .001 then I would want the case head flush. Does that sound right?

Yes, flush or .001" above the barrel face to equal the bareel frame gap that you measured at .001"

Quote:
It seems funny to me that before firing factory ammo was between flush and .002 above the end of the barrel and after firing it grew to .004 to .005 and that I would want to resize to flush or .001 above the barrel.

The fired case is showing you the amount the frame stretches under pressure. If you don't resize it back to frame/barrel gap the gun will close hard. It will also hold the barrel away from the frame that.004~.005" and the next time you fire it the case will grow a little more. In time as the case "grows" from only neck sizing it will not allow the barrel to close enough to push the inter lock and the hammer will not cock.

So use the full lenght size die and leave it up in the press some size the case and check it in the barrel keep adjusting the die down until the .001" is reached. If you look at the case you will be sizing the neck and just pushing/touching the shoulder enough to keep the "chamber" dimensions. It's kind of like partial/neck sizing.

Quote:
Wouldn't I want it closer to what it ends up as to reduce case streaching?

Usually case stretching that will cause case head seperation is when the case is moved a great deal each time. Like .020" or more. Moving the case .003~.005 will effect it little or none.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Help me with frame gap and setting dies for my TC [Re: Tigger] #48289 03/03/2009 3:00 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
PS if you have any more question ask away. I'll do my best to try and explain, but it sounds like you have the general concept, just need someone to confirm you thoughts.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 85 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod