Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gun owners rejoice #4677 11/03/2004 8:40 PM
Gman Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
George Bush re-elected! Guns safe for four more years!

Re: Gun owners rejoice [Re: Gman] #4678 11/03/2004 10:20 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
Amen! I could not be more thrilled!

Re: Gun owners rejoice [Re: Gman] #4679 11/03/2004 10:23 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline
Quote:

George Bush re-elected! Guns safe for four more years!

Gman,

Greetings! I know how you feel: I am glad that GW won, and we are far better off than if Kerry were in office, but I will never forget what GW's father did to us with the 1989 Sporting Purposes test which was the first major piece of national gun control regulation to be inacted since the 1968 the 1968 Gun Control Act which introduced the yellow 4473'S and dealer licensing [which I am a licensed dealer].

That 1989 sporting purposes test encouraged and energized the gun control crowd, and opened the floodgates and paved the way for the 1994 assault weapons ban, and all such legislation to be proposed since.

When GCA '68 passed, many foreign guns were immediately prohibited, including the Walther PPK [which had to be manufactured here in Alexandria to continue to be sold here]. Since passage of that 1968 law, the "sporting use" language has been used to ban other guns from importation. In 1989, President GHW Bush banned a significant number of foreign-made semi-autos simply by having the BATF redefine guns which previously were "particularly suitable for sporting purposes" suddenly to those which no longer were.

And GW has not been overly gun friendly, so much as he has simply been apathetic towards introducing anything new beyond what we now suffer.

As my fellow Gun Owners of America members are fond of saying, I say as well, that we need to be ever vigilent and all the more so now, and not allow moderate neo-conservative Republicans to get too comfortable and to take us for granted and make the same mistakes that GW's father did to us in 1988.

Re: Gun owners rejoice [Re: SeanVHA60013] #4680 11/03/2004 10:29 PM
PerryW Offline
YEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWW

Perry

Re: Gun owners rejoice [Re: SeanVHA60013] #4681 11/04/2004 2:03 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Sean, I agree but consider the alternative... Our (gun owners) failing is that we aren't united enough. There are far too many sportsmen that see nothing wrong with a ban on a black gun here and there and don't subscribe to the "nose of the camel idea". Personally I think we have far too few Ted Nugent's in our ranks. Be thankful that we have the VCDL in VA. They have done more for VA gun owners than any other org. in history. We have to be "in your face" active if we will maintain our rights. I'm a no-compromise person when it comes to gun rights - sure wish everyone was.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Gun owners rejoice [Re: Gary] #4682 11/04/2004 8:25 AM
SeanVHA60013 Offline
Quote:

Sean, I agree but consider the alternative... Our (gun owners) failing is that we aren't united enough. There are far too many sportsmen that see nothing wrong with a ban on a black gun here and there and don't subscribe to the "nose of the camel idea". Personally I think we have far too few Ted Nugent's in our ranks. Be thankful that we have the VCDL in VA. They have done more for VA gun owners than any other org. in history. We have to be "in your face" active if we will maintain our rights. I'm a no-compromise person when it comes to gun rights - sure wish everyone was.

Gary,

I couldn't agree more, especially regarding the "Motor City Madman" and how I wish we had a few million more like him!

I am very thankful for the VCDL: without them, I would not have my CCW permit and without their efforts at pre-emption of state regs over local regs, would still have to drive through 12 very different anti-gun legislation "zones" on my way to and from any of the three big nearby cities.

Quote:

Our (gun owners) failing is that we aren't united enough. There are far too many sportsmen that see nothing wrong with a ban on a black gun here and there and don't subscribe to the "nose of the camel idea".

I agree here as well. We should all remember that when the Gun Control Act of 1968 was being debated on congress, there were no active national gun-rights groups. Those that did exist, like the NRA, were at that time primarily hobby shooting organizations with little experience in mobilizing the grassroots or even in effectively working Capitol Hill.

That was years before the formation of such groups as the Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Gun Owners of America, and the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action.

Whoever caused the "sporting use" clause to be put in the Act was a clever antigun proponant: it has come back to haunt gun owners time and again, first and foremost because it circumvents the Second Amendment by suggesting that the only legitimate purpose of gun ownership is for sporting recreation and leisure. No mention is made in the language of Gun Control Act of 1968 of self and societal or national defense, which I believe is a clever antigun tactic and linguistic re-definition of the Second Amendment and a fatal flaw in the legislation itself and especially a fatal flaw in the thinking of the majority of gun owning sportsman in our day.

I wish I could send a free copy of "The Human Cost of Victim Disarmament; Death by "Gun Control" by Aaron Zelman and Richard W. Stevens, published by the Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Inc. to all such Sportsman, and redirect their thinking to that of our founding fathers and the language and original intent of the Second Amendment.

Re: Gun owners rejoice [Re: Gman] #4683 11/04/2004 11:32 AM
Chief RID Offline
It ain't "gun control", it's "people control". If this crowd don't get off there butt and start making change while they can those wishy washy blow with the wind, change for the sake of change crowd will have the upper hand again in 2 years.

"If they would just get their hands bloody maybe once or twice a year." MCMM

Re: Gun owners rejoice [Re: Chief RID] #4684 11/04/2004 1:36 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I agree and can't for the life of me understand why some people refuse to take steps to protect themselves. Here is a classic example. My cousin, a single 40 year old woman, was recently witness to the casing of the home across the street by 2 men. Of course she didn't realize at the time what was going on. The next day the 2 men returned and attempted to murder the family living across the street from her. She spent the following 2 nights sleeping in her bathroom while a she placed a fake body in her bed in case they came back to get rid of the person who could identify them. She refuses to let me teach her how to shoot a firearm, we've discussed it many times over the years. Now she has decided that she'll sell her home, which she bought about a year ago, and move. I just don't get it.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod