Next Thread
Print Thread
Blackhawk? #60055 11/27/2009 1:23 PM
RUG1 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Please help me understand this:
I have read a Blackhawk at one time was made in a 44 Magnum, and there became pressure issues, due to reloaders pushing the limits, so Ruger produced the Super Blackhawk for the 44 Magnum.
But now I see either custom shop Blackhawks in 44 Magnum or other listings for 44 Magnum Blackhawks.
So is the Blackhawk of today able to be a 44 Magnum or what?

Freedom is a gift, paid for by blood. Given for all to receive.
Re: Blackhawk? [Re: RUG1] #60062 11/27/2009 3:22 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
Rug,

I stumbled across a brand new 1956-2006 Anniversary Model Blackhawk in one of my haunts a few years ago. Ernie the owner of the shop had aquired it at a Ruger show type event for dealers down in Conn. They were selling a limited number to dealers for a song. Ernie got one thinking one of his long time customers would eventually come in and "just might" become infatuated with it.(I don't know what would make him think that -wise guy!) It is for all intents and purposes the same BH that Bill built in 1956 for the "new" .44 magnum cartridge. Flat top, 6 1/2" barrel, smaller grip frame, even the same Micro-rear adjustable sight as the original. Only difference is it is not a 3 screw, has the transfer bar, and also has a hammer spring block hidden in the grip frame (which with the turn of provided wrench you can elect to engage or leave disengaged - Lawyers!). It has a glass smooth action and even clicks 3 times when you cock it! I became instantly infatuated. I had to have it! (Ernie claims to be able to get in my head - I think it was just pure chance!)
Upon getting it home I contacted Ruger and asked pretty much what your asking. I had every intention of hunting with this revolver and use premium factory hunting cartridges with heavy bullets of course. The response that I recieved was that the Anniversary BH is capable of handling ANY modern factory ammo produced under maximum SAAMI (not sure if I got those initials correct) pressure rating for the .44 magnum cartridge. So, Ruger, of course did not wave the reloading blessing hand, but did give me the answer I was hoping for.
I've put 1 1/2 boxes of Federal 180 grain high shoks, 1 box of Federal 300 grain CastCores,(shot up all the Federal stuff I had left - for fun!) 1 50 count box of Blazer .44 specials with the Speer 200 grain GD hollow point, plus 5 whole boxes and a partial 6th of Speer GD 270 grain softpoints(my current hunting load) through it. My hand may get sore from a session of the Speer 270 grainers, but absolutely NO issues with the revolver so far. I made it clear to Ruger that my intent was to SHOOT and USE this revolver and not store it in my safe for collector's purposes. They generically advised to "shoot away" with factory ammo. I do, of course, check all screws after a shooting session and may have to "tweak" one, but that is elementary for all .44 revolvers that I have owned in the last 20-25 years. To not typically do so is just asking for trouble.
It seems quite partial to this Speer 270 load and I have been hunting with it going on 3 seasons now (hunted just yesterday morning before striking out to the inlaws for turkey dinner). I intend to have my smithy alter the tall front blade to a bead of some type once he and I decide on what to do, and I believe I will try and find a larger grip for it. Don't think I want rubber on this beauty, and the hammer spring lock makes it somewhat of a problem finding replacement grips not made specifically for the Anniversary model. My smith and I will no doubt overcome that as well. Otherwise, this one is a KEEPER. 6 1/2", beatuful fit and finish, super smooth action, a feathery 37 ounces, and points/shoots like an extension of my hand! I don't think that I can miss anything that I care to shoot at with it. Man, for me, this is Ruger's Colt SAA. You put it in your hand and it instantly feels like a part of you! (Well, except for the dull pain these Speer 270's leave in the middle knuckle of my middle finger after 30-40 rounds - a grip alteration coming!). I would assume that with modern steel manufacturing, Ruger has corrected any "pressure issues" you may have read about - however, I do intend to stick with factory hunting loads with this revolver for the time being. When I was reloading heavies, it was with a SBH that I owned at the time and would to this day punish that big gun without worry. But, back then, I didn't have the plethora of factory hunting loads for the .44 magnum that we have now. I'll be quite happy with these Speers for now I think.

How's that for 1st hand input Rug.

Renster(sore knuckle) of N.H.
\:\)

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: Blackhawk? [Re: Renster of N.H.] #60080 11/28/2009 12:49 AM
RUG1 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Renster, That is very good first hand knowledge. Very interesting reading. This is information I will store for future use. And if I can just stop drooling of the thought a light weight, hand extension that throws lead I will be good.
But you did answer a lot of my questions. Thank you, Rug

Freedom is a gift, paid for by blood. Given for all to receive.
Re: Blackhawk? [Re: RUG1] #60083 11/28/2009 1:27 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
So is the Blackhawk of today able to be a 44 Magnum or what?

Always could and will. The Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Bisley and Hunter all share the same platform. The only differences are barrel length, grip size/shape, finish, sights, etc.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Blackhawk? [Re: s4s4u] #60580 12/04/2009 5:10 PM
NHSHTR Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Looks like Ren stepped in it - in a good way!

I've been to the Ruger site a number of times and for the New Model BH line they only list the Bisley model in 44 mag. The std NMBH line shows the only 44 as the SPL.

Std 44's are only in the SBH line. I think they figure they have a safety margin (liability?) and a good thing going with the SBH line getting more money for 44's.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod