Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help with first FA #61653 12/21/2009 8:59 PM
marshrat870 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey I need some help getting ready to order a FA 83 premier in 44mag or 454 my ? is what barrel 6 or 7 1/2.I also need help in what options such as scope mount,grips,honed action and sling mount do I need.
I will be hunting mostly whitetails here in Iowa and some black bears in AK this spring.
Marsh

Re: Help with first FA [Re: marshrat870] #61661 12/22/2009 12:09 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
For me the 7 1/2" barrel is good and either FA`s double ring scope mount or the T`SOB are good choices. An action job is always a good thing and appreciated on long shots. The only FA`s
handgun I have with a sling is the 475 with a 10" barrel but with a shorter barrel you really don`t need it. I have micarta grips on all my FA`s handguns because they fit me perfectly. Wish you luck and I know you will be happy when you get your
model 83.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Help with first FA [Re: jamesfromjersey] #61668 12/22/2009 2:12 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I would not encourage you or anyone else to go to the expense of installing sling studs and swivels on it. A good holster will protect it better than banging around exposed to the elements. I say this with some experience, having such sling swivels and studs on 8 revolvers...but I haven't put any on since about 1999.
I have FA's in both barrel lengths you mention, and like both. Since you're going to scope it, I'd probably select the 7 1/2", but this truly is a matter of personal preference. My scoped FA's all wear Leupolds, and 3 or 4 rings, depending upon caliber. You can't go wrong with a T'SOB, but many also like the Lovell.
I personally haven't found the 3# trigger job to be essential on FA's, but several of mine have it, and James is right: they're nice.
THe micarta is indeed tougher than the laminated wood. You might consider getting the tan micarta, which gives an appearance somewhat simulating ivory. I like mine.

Re: Help with first FA [Re: 500WE] #61677 12/22/2009 4:48 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I would probably go with the 7.5 inch gun if you plan on scoping it. I like the T'SOB mounts better than the rest from it's support of the scope. The guns don't "need" an action job but they sure are nice with one. I like the contrast of the black micarta grips but the ivory micarta also looks great. It's kind of an expensive option but a great looking one is the octagon barrel. the flats are the same diameter as the round barrels so it would probably add just a touch of weight.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Help with first FA [Re: Gary] #61738 12/23/2009 5:33 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Marsh,

Like those who commented before me, I'd go with the longer barrel with a scoped gun. I have both the Lovell and T'SOB mounts, but prefer the T'SOB for the harder recoilers - great track record on a tough design.

As far as grips and action job, I like the look of the black micarta...and who doesn't like a good trigger!

I have not opted for sling mounts on any of my bigger handguns, preferring to holster them in full-coverage bandolier style holsters when carrying.

Good luck and early congrats on a fine piece!

Re: Help with first FA [Re: SChunter] #61741 12/23/2009 6:05 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
I'd also recommend the T'SOB mount. I like 4 rings on my large caliber handguns whenever they will fit. I like the look of the micarta grips and I had them on my .475 BFR but they did not work well functionally for me. I do not like how slippery they feel. I never could get a good sturdy hold of the grip.
As far as triggers go you just cannot beat a good trigger. It can never be too smoothe.

Recoil

Re: Help with first FA [Re: marshrat870] #61744 12/23/2009 6:30 PM
marshrat870 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks guys for the help going to order after the first of the year. This is my time of the year to handgun hunt Iowa lot of snow and still have some corn in the fields just looking for big horns this season.

Marsh
\:\)

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 88 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod