Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T/C scope base? #63448 01/25/2010 10:22 PM
silly goose Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I bought a used Encore in 7-08. It came w/a 2.5x t/c illuminated reticle scope. That scope setup sits inside the base and is clamped w/two allen screws, it doesn't have "rings" so to speak. I brought this gun to the range and sighted it in on a semi windy day. I fired 13 rounds altogther, with the last five going into three inches at 100 yards. I thought this was pretty good for the first time shooting one of these guns. So today is kind of a lousy day, rainy, windy etc..., and I take my Encore out and practice some shooting positions w/it out the window. I wish they had couches out in the woods, they make great rests. Anyway, I was just admiring it and wiping it down when I thought I felt something move. Hmmmm. I move to a better light source and discover that the base is a bit loose. Sooooooo..... I remove the scope and find 3 screws, the second one in from the front is missing. And someone, who I am not real happy w/right now, has screwed up that hole in the base w/some type of drilling process. They went far enough to mar the barrel but that screw hole is still ok, and screws in just fine. My question is, does anyone know where I can get another base and proper screw for this scope setup? I know I can get different bases, but then I wouldn't be able to use this scope. So I'm thinking the cheapest way out is to try and locate this style base. I'm also thinking I may try and trade this whole setup for a 45/410 barrel, and let someone else do with it as they wish. This scope and base would probably work fine for a lighter recoiling barrel, but I think for the 7-08 all four screws would be necessary. Does anybody else have any ideas? I would never part with this setup w/out first advising of its condition, I believe in Karma.

I went from pow to Boom. I love the BOOM!
Re: T/C scope base? [Re: silly goose] #63449 01/25/2010 10:39 PM
hunlee Offline
addict
addict
HUnlee has send PM to yous

hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: T/C scope base? [Re: hunlee] #63451 01/25/2010 11:09 PM
silly goose Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I sent a pm, per your post, but haven't received one from you. Thanks.

Re: T/C scope base? [Re: silly goose] #63464 01/26/2010 3:08 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
TC's have been notorious for needing/requiring lock tight of some type and users just not using it. The mount of a TC single shot takes a lot more heat distortion than its bolt action counterpart.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: T/C scope base? [Re: TCTex.] #63478 01/26/2010 12:13 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If it is TC's Duo-Ring, (couldn't find the box last night,) they are very strong. I use to have one on my 7mm Mag and it held up just fine. In fact, it ate 2 scopes before I replaced it with Leupold's DD system.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: T/C scope base? [Re: TCTex.] #63482 01/26/2010 12:44 PM
silly goose Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
No, its not a duo ring. The scope has a lug underneath that fits into the mount, and is then tightened w/two allen screws. That's kind of my predicament, the scope and mount go together, if I replace one, I have to replace the other. To be honest, I have a 30-30 contender on the way, and I really don't need this barrel(I love the 30-30), But how could I swap or sell this one w/out explaining, I don't think anyone would want it. All four holes are good on the barrel, just a cosmetic issue that you cant see with a scope mounted anyway.

Re: T/C scope base? [Re: silly goose] #63483 01/26/2010 1:42 PM
tyler.woodard04 Offline
addict
addict
pm sent

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: T/C scope base? [Re: tyler.woodard04] #63498 01/27/2010 2:18 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
What you have is the old TC "rail" mount scope. I also think they called it the "lobo" mount, but if I'm wrong someone correct me. You are right that if you want a regular scope you need a different base and rings. I have had 2 of the rail mount scopes and have had no major problems with them. Both were/are 4X.

If the threads in the second hole will hold one of the other screws and the hole in the base is OK, go to the hardware or call TC and get another screw. I belive the scope mount screws for the Encore are a #6 by 48 thread. The hardware should be able to tell you with a thread gauge. If they don't have the exact length you need get one a little longer and file it down to length. Then buy the BLUE locktite and use a little on each hole. The blue locktite is medium strength. Usually with the proper fitting screwdrive and a good strong hand you can break them loose if they need to be removed. If not take your wolfs hair dryer and heat the barrel and the screws will back out easier.

DO NOT use the red locktite.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: T/C scope base? [Re: Tigger] #63499 01/27/2010 2:30 AM
tyler.woodard04 Offline
addict
addict
or that green race retaining stuff, did that once by mistake not good!!!

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: T/C scope base? [Re: tyler.woodard04] #63506 01/27/2010 3:15 AM
silly goose Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Tigger, I think you are correct in what this scope and mount are. And I think with the help of others I may have this figured out a bit better. I think this mount came off of a contender. If you look closely you can see that the radius is a bit smaller than the encore barrel, it is only touching on the outsides. The second hole is drilled out on the mount, so the screw wouldn't be holding anything. The hole in the barrel is intact and screws in just fine. I think I may save this scope and mount for a lighter recoiling contender barrel. How much is a barrel like this worth with a blemish around one of the screw holes? With a base installed, you'd never see it.

Re: T/C scope base? [Re: silly goose] #63519 01/27/2010 4:46 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Most rail mounts were for the contender, I'm not sure if one was available for the Encore. Both mine came on Encore barrels and the base fit the contour of the barrel, so it makes me wonder. Both barrels were early production which would have been around the time the rail mount was dropped.

Like you stated the base has 3 good holes and would work well with three screws on a light recoiling Contender barrel. (ie; 22LR, Hornet, ect)

The worth of the barrel is in the $150-$175.00 range shipped. That's what most used Encore barrels that actually sell are going for. To me the blemish would not make a price differance as long as the hole and threads were functional. The base is going to cover the blemish anyway. Some people are funny that they want it to be perfect so that might influance the sale price a little. Like you say, take good pictures and describe the blemish well. It should sell, the 7mm-08 is a popular cartridge for the Encore.

On a side note, the one 4X TC rail mount scope was working fine. The coating on the inside was starting to flake off and get on the inside of the glass. I sent it to TC and ask them to clean it up. I was going to put it right back on the barrel. In 7 business day I had a box show up with a new 2-7 scope, base, and rings for a Contender. There was a little yellow note that siad "scope no longer made, upgraded at no charge". That was great customer service. Now mind you I'm not complaining but it kind of left hanging with the wrong base for my Encore barrel. LOL<LOL

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 62 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod