Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Long range Encore big game set-up #64427 02/11/2010 6:44 PM
Recoil Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I realize that an Encore is not the best long range platform for a big game getter. That being said what set-up would you recommend as the best to harvest a thin skinned big game animal at extended ranges? I realize that this is a complicated question

Recoil

Re: Long range Encore big game set-up [Re: Recoil] #64436 02/11/2010 9:18 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Recoil
I realize that an Encore is not the best long range platform for a big game getter. That being said what set-up would you recommend as the best to harvest a thin skinned big game animal at extended ranges? I realize that this is a complicated question
Recoil

First, What is extended ranges for you?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Long range Encore big game set-up [Re: Ernie] #64438 02/11/2010 9:25 PM
Recoil Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Depends upon the limts of the set-up I reckon. I was hoping that you would have an opinion Ernie. I value your input.

Recoil

Re: Long range Encore big game set-up [Re: Recoil] #64440 02/11/2010 9:45 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
The Dan B. Guide to "Extended Range".....by Dan B.
;\)

If the distance between shooter and target is such that it requires to shooter to take into consideration the bullet drop and drift, then this would be considered extended range.

Now, we all should be able to exceed the "extended range" of a .22LR...where the abilities of the round are less than the shooter is capable.

Another example...my personal "extended range" with the WSM XP-100 starts at 300yds. My personal limit with this gun is 600yds...my maximum practice distance. The weapon is capable of placing kill shots in the vitals at twice that range but that well exceeds my comfortable effective range. In WY last fall, Ernie used this same gun (after a few sighter shots) to drop a lope at 1037yds!

BTW....I don't care what KYODE says, I AM RIGHT and that is the way it should be!!
;\)

Last edited by Dan B.; 02/11/2010 9:55 PM.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Long range Encore big game set-up [Re: Recoil] #64441 02/11/2010 9:49 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I really can't set distances for other people.
With the Encore one of my favorite cartridge choices would be the 280AI. Good brass. 284 Win would be another good choice depending on animals and distance.
I would go with a high quality barrel-Best I could buy.
Brux, Broughton, Krieger have been excellent for me.
I think I would go with heavy barrel, maybe a step-up, so that the smith could tap into the barrel for the forend.
I would have a stock made that had aluminum pillars, so that the contoured pillars was the only thing touching the barrel.
I probably would not use a bi-pod on the Encore, unless it was fully tested ahead of time.

I would get the best trigger possible.
I would get a set of comp dies (bushing neck) and in-line seater, so as reduce bullet and case run-out to a minimum.
I use Redding 90%+ of the time.

The way I approach it is to build a BR rig that I will use for hunting. Chamber needs to be throated for the bullets you want to use, and it needs to match your dies well.
Learn precision reloading.
In other words put everything in your odds that the Encore is as accurate as possible.
I would use a picatinny/weaver type base and Burris Signature Zee Rings.
Encores can shoot real good groups, but they are more finicky given the break-open design, and the barrel not being free-floated.
Then comes the time in the field shooting from field positions at long distances, to see how good you really shoot-Practice, practice, practice.
Good optics is another issue of course.
I probably forgot some things, but that would get you started.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Long range Encore big game set-up [Re: Ernie] #64442 02/11/2010 9:55 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I would also recommend a good muzzle brake-My fav for most situations is Holland's Radial brake.
As anyone can see, this is not a cheap set-up.

I wonder what the price comparison would be with buying a new MOA?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Long range Encore big game set-up [Re: Ernie] #64443 02/11/2010 9:55 PM
Recoil Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Why thank you Ernie! That is just the sort of information that I needed!

Recoil

Re: Long range Encore big game set-up [Re: Recoil] #64460 02/12/2010 1:35 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My long range choice at this time is my full bull barrel 308 Win Encore it has a 14.5" Full bull barrel with a rifle forearm for the Harris BR bipod if required (do not use it most of the time because I have to re zero due to POI changes)--in short if you put the bipod on leave it on all the time. The barrel is a MGM the trigger has been worked. It will shoot sub .75" groups at 100 and in the 2" range at 300. It has a 2-7 burris (I like the extra FOV) but if I planed to shoot past 300 very often I would use the 3-12 on my .243

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1546

I took a mule deer at almost 300 with this gun two years ago and a whitetail at just over 100 last year.

It will center punch 16oz coke bottles all day long at 300.

I need a 500+ yard range to be sure what it will really do.

I did hit a paint can at 1000 +/- in west texas 2 years ago on the second shot. First shot was 2" low-- keep in mind that was the first time I had ever fired it at that range and the cross hair pretty much blocked out the can.

Target turrets would be a plus if you plan to shoot over 300 yards other wise a BP is recomended.

In my mind this is what you need if you do not go XP or MOA

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Long range Encore big game set-up [Re: H2OBUG] #64463 02/12/2010 1:44 AM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My LR set-up is a 6.5x55, MGM barreled Encore, w/brake, rifle forearm and a 6x21, side focus, target turrets scope mounted in the Burris rings with inserts. The brake is a necessity if you mount a rifle scope. Takes getting used too, but worth it. (Thanks, Ernie)

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Long range Encore big game set-up [Re: H2OBUG] #64484 02/12/2010 2:22 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
H2)BUG,
Good shooting. It takes more than luck to connect quickly at 1K.

Originally Posted By: H2OBUG
My long range choice at this time is my full bull barrel 308 Win Encore it has a 14.5" Full bull barrel with a rifle forearm for the Harris BR bipod if required (do not use it most of the time because I have to re zero due to POI changes)--in short if you put the bipod on leave it on all the time. The barrel is a MGM the trigger has been worked. It will shoot sub .75" groups at 100 and in the 2" range at 300. It has a 2-7 burris (I like the extra FOV) but if I planed to shoot past 300 very often I would use the 3-12 on my .243

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1546

I took a mule deer at almost 300 with this gun two years ago and a whitetail at just over 100 last year.

It will center punch 16oz coke bottles all day long at 300.

I need a 500+ yard range to be sure what it will really do.

I did hit a paint can at 1000 +/- in west texas 2 years ago on the second shot. First shot was 2" low-- keep in mind that was the first time I had ever fired it at that range and the cross hair pretty much blocked out the can.

Target turrets would be a plus if you plan to shoot over 300 yards other wise a BP is recomended.

In my mind this is what you need if you do not go XP or MOA

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod