This website is like a good book, I just can't
put it down. I've pretty much convinced myself to
get a Super Redhawk .44 for my primary deer hunting
first handgun, and thanks to some influence from
some of you I am leaning towards the Blackhawk .327
for my playing in the woods handgun.
I am wet behind the ears for this whole process,
and would like anyone that would like to chime
in to discuss the purchasing. My questions...

Is it better to buy new from a ganders, cabelas, etc.
Are the auctions pretty reliable. How well does the
online purchasing work? What is your favorite auction?
And most of all, have you had any bad experience with
online/auctions?

thanks in advance

bear

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. Thomas Jefferson
Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: da bear] #65363 02/26/2010 9:31 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have never bought a handgun from an on-line auction website. I have however spent a good deal of money buying them from classified listing such as what we have here...and never had any bad experiences.

Usually Cabela's and Gander are overpriced...tho you will occassionally get a deal....but that is rare! My locally owned gun shops are willing to deal and I support them with a lot of business when my personal cash flow permits it.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: Dan B.] #65368 02/26/2010 10:46 AM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I can repeat what DAN B. said
I have purchased from my LOCAL BassPro, But Cabela's is to high!
My best luck is with a couple of Local Shops.
And I have had NO Problem With the Classified as on this sight.

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: Mike S] #65369 02/26/2010 12:28 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I also feel that the Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops price their guns higher than they might otherwise be bought.
I prefer to buy from in-state dealers where I can handle and examine the guns for cosmetic defects, chamber mouths, trigger pulls, etc.
I've bought a half dozen guns off Gunbroker, and one from a seller on this site. I always ask for photos, and inquire about scratches and blemishes. I've been satisfied with my buys. Two of the guns were not as represented cosmetically, but I bought them at a good price, and was able to fix the cosmetic issues.
As the old saying goes. "let the buyer beware."

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: da bear] #65374 02/26/2010 2:04 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Cabela's and Gander Mountain are thieves, never been to Bass Pro.

I have purchased from, and sold on, all kinds of on-line outlets including GunBroker, AuctionArms and GunsAmerica. Also, Bud's Gun Shop has the best on-line retail pricing. Shipping and transfer is easy, if you have an FFL that won't rape you. Mine charges $20 which is usually less than the sales tax that I would pay locally.

Always check feedback on sellers. Ask lots of questions as you can get a feel for the seller by his answers. Ask about return specifics, usually it is 3 days inspection (non-firing) with the auctions.

Forum classifieds can be a great source, but there are a few incidents of abuse there as well. If a seller is new to the forum be careful, some folks run-and-gun forum classifieds only to sell and they can be hard to track down if you are not satisfied.

I have never been screwed in any of my on-line purchases, but YMMV.

Welcome to the madness.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: s4s4u] #65377 02/26/2010 2:15 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
My FFL charges $35 on guns shipped into him...which is equivalent to sales tax on a $500 purchase (6%) and $5 transfer.

ISPBS--Expert Level

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: Dan B.] #65381 02/26/2010 3:33 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I have purchased numerous items, including guns at the Gunbroker auction website. I have always had good luck. However, these are some frauds out there.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: wtroper] #65383 02/26/2010 4:20 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Your 'first' purchases ought to be made 'in person' so you can handle, eyeball, and ask questions. Hopefully it's a local 'shop' and the salesman knows his business. JMO.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: Russell] #65385 02/26/2010 6:23 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have not bought very many guns online. I did have one incident:

http://www.handgunhunt.com/promo/members...MS%20MODEL%2083

Good advice, Sheriff.

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: Russell] #65386 02/26/2010 6:24 PM
MIHunter Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have to agree with everyone here. I'll go to Cabelas to look around but my local gun store beats their price every time.

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: s4s4u] #65389 02/26/2010 7:44 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
...if you have an FFL that won't rape you. Mine charges $20 which is usually less than the sales tax that I would pay locally.

Mine wants 50.00... The cheapest I have found around here is 35.00 and some have gone up to 75.00.

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Always check feedback on sellers. Ask lots of questions as you can get a feel for the seller by his answers. Ask about return specifics, usually it is 3 days inspection (non-firing) with the auctions.

Forum classifieds can be a great source, but there are a few incidents of abuse there as well. If a seller is new to the forum be careful, some folks run-and-gun forum classifieds only to sell and they can be hard to track down if you are not satisfied.

Great advice Rod!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: TCTex.] #65391 02/26/2010 8:22 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Mine wants 50.00... The cheapest I have found around here is 35.00 and they have gone up to 75.00.

That's just plain robbery, I would express my disdain for them and make them know that I will never spend a dime in their store.

Rod, too.

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: s4s4u] #65392 02/26/2010 8:53 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
There is nothing I can. They have pretty good deals on used guns. If I drop buy a few times a month I will find a decent deal on a new gun. Otherwise, I can pretty much bank on 50 for a FFL and 50 shipping. My best bet is a gun show to be honest.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: da bear] #65409 02/27/2010 1:41 AM
da bear Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the info. And thanks for that link Gregg, glad
it all worked out for you. My problem is I'm living in a
one horse town and lucky to have running water. The nearest
FFL that I found is a 30 mile ride. I did make it to the
Bemidji Gander a while ago to put some iron in my palm. I
never have been comfortable buying online, but it might be
my most convenient option.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. Thomas Jefferson
Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: da bear] #65411 02/27/2010 2:27 AM
SKR Offline
Bear, you're in a similar local to mine the way it sounds.

A good place to look for someone with an FFL that wont hang you out to dry is a Sporting clays or Trap and Skeet ranges.

It might require an annual membership but Ive seen some charge 5 to 15 bucks for members to recieve guns in. I use a local sporting clays range who has an FFL.

I've bought and sold some 65 guns on Gunbroker and it is my opinion that if you always deal with those with some past experience as often as you can, you'll be safe.

Like in "fleabay" those on ther lots WANT to protect their feedback. A couple negative feedbacks in a couple months will drive the selling price of anything they have in the crapper and they know it. If a NEW gun, ALWAYS ASK if the gun is IN STOCK or you might be waiting a LONG time after paying for it.

Reputable DEALERS there will give you several days to inspect the gun and return it (at your cost) if unhappy.

I've bought some "no returns allowed" but never got a lemon yet. I DO however ask the guy to let me call him and talk to him on the phone before bidding. Some take offense, and oh well, IMHO. Others if just "good ol boys" like the guys here, you'll figure it out pretty quick. If they hesitate a lot on questions or flat act like they don't want to talk to you it's a big red flag waving to me.

You think 75 bucks is bad to receive a firearm??? Ive LOST deals with guys in CA whose dealers want 125-150 bucks AND sales tax.

In OHIO, ANY gun crossing the state line to an FFL WILL BE CHARGED SALES TAX. I got that straight from the Ohio tax board or whatever the name of it is......in writing. I had a buyer back out on a 2000 dollar shotgun for that very reason.

I buy practically ALL my guns online for the reason that there is more to pick from so more options, more places to look, and takes less gas. LOL!!

The local "dealer" IS A TC dealer. I got that info straight from TCA. I drove the 45 miles to his shop to look at an Encore pistol since I'd never had one in hand and to see if he had any used ones.

When I asked him (not seeing any) if he had any Encores in stock his reply was "na.....we dont carry any of the OLDER stuff anymore".

I walked out (older stuff??) sigh.....

Online is my ONLY choice other than driving more than an hour just to LOOK.

That said, I found a decent deal on a Contender Hunter,SS, online with TCAs 2.5-7 scope in 35 Rem. Whole package was 100 more than I can buy a new Encore pistol FRAME. A good one for a "150 yard sledge hammer" in the thicker areas I may hunt but I'll pick up another new barrel in something else too if I get it bought. Still waiting on the guy to respond to my "I'll take it" message.

Here, the local, long time mom and pop gun shops are gone. 20 years ago I had five in this county. There isnt a single one now.

If looking for something in particular, give me a yell via PM. I'm online looking.......A LOT. Always glad to help any of you if I am able.

Thanks for putting up with me and GOD BLESS!
Steve
Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: da bear] #65414 02/27/2010 3:54 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Bemidji Gander

You got PM ;-)

Rod, too.

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: s4s4u] #65433 02/28/2010 2:28 AM
da bear Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
 Quote:
You got PM ;-)

Is that a GOOD or BAD thing?

Last edited by da bear; 02/28/2010 2:31 AM.

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: MIHunter] #65436 02/28/2010 5:24 AM
muddydog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I definately would not buy a used gun without laying hands on it first unless you know the person who is selling. Here in Texas we have alot of gun shows which is how I aquired my like new SRH .44. I got to give it a good inspection and even check the trigger, something they probably will not let you do with a new gun at places like cabelas. If gun shows are not an option, check out some local gun shops. BTW I love my SRH! Good Luck finding yours!

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: da bear] #65439 02/28/2010 12:18 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: da bear

Is that a GOOD or BAD thing?

STDs = bad!!
;\)

PMs = private message = good!! Click on the blinking envelope that you can see the at top for the forum list.

ISPBS--Expert Level

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: MIHunter] #65509 03/01/2010 7:12 PM
PsyopsE6 Offline
Go to the local gunshop, look, touch, hold and be a pest..decide what you like and see the price, ask for the best deal..then go home go on line and look at the same thing online..sometimes the price is better for a used (with guarntee)..put it on watch, then go back to the gunshop and ask if he or she will match the price (be realistic now) if he will buy local if not bid or do "Buy Now" and ship to your local dealer if he charges much more than $20 - $25 he is the thief..all he has to do is receive, log, and sign out..be a cautious shopper, rip offs occur face to face as well as online, remember on line you have the "feedback" option...good luck...ElDee

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: MIHunter] #65518 03/01/2010 10:06 PM
siyakadog Offline
stranger
stranger
Thats funny, I am not supporting big box shops or anything, but I have found that my local shop is always at least $30 or more higher than Cabelas or BPro or Scheels. I have to drive 100 miles in any direction to shop a different gun store that has any inventory, I do have a local FFL dealer that only charges $10 to ship to him so that works out okay for.
Not really on the topic sorry, I had to post cuz I was just whining to my girlfriend about how high my local shop was!!! LOL

Re: Purchasing Handguns [Re: siyakadog] #65567 03/02/2010 4:53 PM
PsyopsE6 Offline
My local shop uses a markup that is any firearm less than $500.00 wholesale add $50.00, anything above 500 is 10%..he cares less about the other shops he just handles his business (35 years)...transfers are $20.00 or less (depends on how good a customer you are), really high value firearms are normally 5 - 10% of value...I buy a lot of firearms from the internet and never have paid over $20.00...buy with confidence on the internet.......ElDee

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 55 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod