Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Air space left in case conundrum!! #66224 03/11/2010 1:30 PM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
My history of reloading concentrated on 22 centerfires for rifles and what few 260 Rem rounds I've loaded for my "new" Xp-100R left me with a situation I'm unfamiliar with and with what I KNOW (admittedly very little) I really don't care for.

Subject to change, the bullets I use will be the 120-125 grainers and while Varget seems to be VERY popular, 37.5 grains of it in a 260 Rem leaves a LOT of "dead" air space.

Multiple searches online didnt bring me much info on my concerns so .....here I am.

With consistancy mandatory for best groups and while the air space left would be consistant it still leaves me with this nagging feeling that powder left with room to "move about" a lot would be LESS consistant, shot per shot. Not sure if I have the capabilities to explain WHY. It just seems like it wouldnt be a positive thing.

Ive seen posts on guys loading everything from Benchmark clear up to 4350 for the same bullets out of a 260 Rem. While that's a LONG ways on the burn chart they are all listed on the IMR / Hodgdon charts for rifles.

Is this air space left after the powder charge effecting powder performance and consistancy? It's always been an opinion of mine viewing the BR calibers and others used for BR shooting that loads were full to lightly compressed for the most part.

While I'm going to be trying out several combinations, the answers on this question might effect WHICH of those to test.

My own personal preference, at THIS time would be a powder fast enough to burn completely in 14.5 inches of barrel but still fill the case at least CLOSE to the bottom of the neck.

Please forgive my ignorance. I tend get accused of "over thinking" things quite often.

Thanks for putting up with me and GOD BLESS!
Steve
Re: Air space left in case conundrum!! [Re: SKR] #66227 03/11/2010 3:18 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Before you worry yourself to death, actually try load development with that combo and see how it does.
H-4350 is a good powder for your set-up as well.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Air space left in case conundrum!! [Re: Ernie] #66229 03/11/2010 3:55 PM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks once again, Ernie.

I realize a GOOD load must be worked up to and simply didnt have the time to since using a friends (stored) reloading equipment in his house. (long story there not worth explaining)

Ive no doubt the varget will give me a working hunting load. Lots are using it but the low fill just caught my attention and made me wonder.

Standard AOL seating using Nosler 120 grain ballistic tips, full length resize (only option right now) with standard CCI primers and 37.5 grains of Varget, with a trigger still too heavy for my taste gave me two ragged holes 1.5 inches apart (about 2 inches max C to C) at 100 yards so I really couldnt complain with what little work I had in them.

I just "needed" to shoot the gun and factory ammo here locally is a long distant dream.

Working on getting equipment, as I said, and working on loads soon but just not used to so MUCH room left in the case and had to ask.

Ive H4895 already available and I have to try it out. It was my "go to" powder in about everything smaller for overall accuracy and velocity. The reloader 17 and 19 seem to have a following too along with the 4350 but really thought the 19 and 4350 would be on the slow side at first glance.

Cant hurt to try them though if I can find some to try. Having 7-9 cans of "unsuitable" powder around later on isnt a great option for me and selling online is not much an option with the hazmat fees involved.

Probably take me some time to do all this of course. Just had me wondering about case fill and if it effected much.

thanks again.

Last edited by SKR; 03/11/2010 3:58 PM.

Steve
Re: Air space left in case conundrum!! [Re: SKR] #66239 03/11/2010 9:04 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I agree with ernie. Shoot it and see. There are so many variables to think about a guy could go nuts. Case in point when I started loading I had always read/heard that the smaller the Extream Spread (ES) the better the groups. So I would work like crazy for that small group with a small ES. It about drove me nuts. I had one 243 in peticular that shot very nice groups with a high ES. Lower the ES and the groups opened up. I like you, thought a "full" case was the best for low ES and good groups. That 243 proved it/me wrong. Over time I come to relaize that every handgun, TC barrel, rifle, revolver is a law unto it's self.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Air space left in case conundrum!! [Re: Tigger] #66253 03/11/2010 11:40 PM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks. I just have always kept a standard rule loading of keeping loads above 80 percent density.

Max loads with Varget doesnt even make 80 percent nor does seveal others commonly used and liked.

Interesting to me is all.

thanks again.

Steve
Re: Air space left in case conundrum!! [Re: SKR] #66255 03/12/2010 12:03 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I NEVER argue with what "shoots..." Let paper be the judge of that. LOL

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Air space left in case conundrum!! [Re: TCTex.] #66264 03/12/2010 2:26 AM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
Like everyone else said, let the paper do the talking. The ES isn't going to bother you until you get out to 500+ yds. The air space doesn't mean a thing with slower rifle powders. I get consistent velocities shooting subsonics in my 223 rifle with only 3.1 grns. of Tightgroup. I think your air in there is going to be ok.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod