Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T/C Custom Shop #69893 05/20/2010 9:41 PM
siyakadog Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am looking at ordering my encore this week from the custom shop, I am a little uncertain about the scope base I should get for it. Does anyone know if they just have a standard drill and tap and I just put any base I want on it, or I have heard guys talk about having more than the standard screws for a base due to recoil. I see they have "gorilla"bases and rings, the site isn't all that clear on that subject. Or will I have to have a local shop add a tap or two? I am getting a .460 S& W with brake and putting a variable Luepold scope, I saw on a post a while back that the scope base screws were sheared off due to recoil, just trying to be proactive and do it right the first time.
thanks

Re: T/C Custom Shop [Re: siyakadog] #69896 05/20/2010 11:23 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
It sounded as though the .460 with the muzzle brake wasn't really that bad as far as the recoil and if thats the case I would think a regular scope base should work.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: T/C Custom Shop [Re: johnwilliams] #69908 05/21/2010 1:02 AM
Luckydawg Offline
stranger
stranger
I used a set of Tally light weight for my 45-70 Contender. Even on the 16" w/o the muzzle brake it held up. Then when i came to my senses and got the Super14 with a muzzle. well...so much the better. I've hand loaded up 405gr cast and even put a couple Garrets sledgehammers through her. Not a wiggle. They were 50 bucks a pop. But you only need to spend it once.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Re: T/C Custom Shop [Re: siyakadog] #69926 05/21/2010 2:45 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The standard 4-hole bases will work fine for anything but the nastiest boomers. Use as many rings as you can fit on it tho, and lap them if you can.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: T/C Custom Shop [Re: siyakadog] #69981 05/22/2010 5:45 AM
encore460 Offline
Hello I have the same barrel with the tc muzzle brake on it. I have a leupold one piece base with dual dovetail rings on it and have not had any problem, also using a leupold 2.5-8x pistol scope on it. Probably have about 300 rounds through the barrel and no problems as of yet with anything.

Re: T/C Custom Shop [Re: encore460] #69994 05/22/2010 2:43 PM
siyakadog Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
s4s4u,
How do you "lap" them? I am new to putting scopes on a handgun, have had handguns a long time just never put many accessories on them. I have seen them side by side, does anyone have a picture? I was going to order my gun yesterday, but I haven't had much luck getting through to them.
thanks

Re: T/C Custom Shop [Re: encore460] #70014 05/23/2010 12:08 AM
Big John Offline
stranger
stranger
I use the same set up and can't keep the scope from walking. I put a scope level on behind the rear scope ring and slowed the creep but still moves over maybe 50 rounds.
I just ordered the Buris Tac rings. They appear to be 1/2 to 3/4 wide with 3 screws on each side. Hope that will do it.

Re: T/C Custom Shop [Re: Big John] #70017 05/23/2010 1:33 AM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wheeler Eng. Makes a Kit to Align and Lap your Scope Rings
http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/do...nstructions.pdf

This Takes out any MisAlignment and Trues the Rings
I Use Weaver or Warne Bases and Warne Steel Rings.
Leopold Told Me to use 3-4 Rings on Heavy recoiling Calipers
When I was Having Problims with one of There Scopes.
I hope this Helps
Note: That Recoil Flex's Both the Mounts and the Scope,
So the More Rings the Better.

Re: T/C Custom Shop [Re: Mike S] #70038 05/23/2010 10:45 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
you can also go with a reamer set up align the rings. You can get the reamers from Brownells and directly from Manson Reamers. I used a 4 screw weaver base with 3 Leupold Rifleman Vertical split rings on both of my 375 jdj's and both of my 45-70 barrels on my contender and never had a problem and only one of the 45-70 barrels had a brake. I've also done the six screw deal which is pretty simple just space out two more holes the same distance apart as the other for and drill and counter sink the base and drill and tap the barrel but with a brake I don't think it's needed. I would definitely go with a base that allows weaver rings so you can run three or four rings. Like I said I've just used the cheapo weavers and never had a problem but there are several other brands and while I can't remember who makes it at the moment there is one company that makes the base with three dual dovetail rings similiar to the Leupold but it will only handle two rings. I would stay away from the Leupold base for that reason, it's a tough base and will stay put but the biggest problem I've seen on the heavy hitting single shots is scope slippage and the other thing multiple rings help with is scope tube deflection and that will make the scope last longer. Hope that was of some help.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod