Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... #82330 02/02/2011 7:36 PM
danpass Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
... don't know what to do with the harvest.

I'm in Miami, FL and I've just begun looking into the options for handgun hunting.

I'd like to hunt but since I won't be 'one of those' who go out and shoot something then walk away it needs to be a situation where I can give the harvest to someone else.

I've looked into these guide clubs/whatever and they seem to compare to the only other time I've gone hunting which was for pheasant. You hunt with the guide and dog then they prepare the harvest for dinner that night.

I've never been exposed to anything else.

Since boar are basically considered a nuisance species down here I figured I'd start there lol.

Handgun: Ruger Security Six 6in .357 Magnum

Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: danpass] #82331 02/02/2011 8:02 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Wild pig makes good table fare. Cook it up any way you would any other pork. It's good and you will then have an excuse to regularly hunt them.

I have hunted them quite extensively around Lake Okeechobee.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: Whitworth] #82332 02/02/2011 8:08 PM
danpass Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the input. I'd prefer to give the harvest to someone else

Last edited by danpass; 02/02/2011 8:08 PM.
Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: danpass] #82333 02/02/2011 8:27 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
There are food banks you can give to who distribute it to the poor. Or just break out the barbeque!! Try it, you'll like it!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: Whitworth] #82351 02/03/2011 12:03 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Look around for a "Sportsmen Against Hunger" program in Florida. There are active SCI members in Fla., so there should be such a program. Your local Salvation Army may be the recipient of such donations. You will have to have the meat prepared (cut) for them.

Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: 500WE] #82372 02/03/2011 5:00 AM
punkinslinger Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
They have a "Hunters for the homeless" program here in ND, but pretty much all of them have gone to "Lead free" donations only. Some of the people are still outside, but Heaven forbid we should feed them game killed with lead bullets, go figure!

The good Lord gives us "Life" a "Window Of Opportunity" what we do with this opportunity, defines who we are and what we become.
Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: punkinslinger] #82374 02/03/2011 6:52 AM
bothbarrels Offline
So you wanna kill it, but don't wanna grill it? There should be a connection there somewhere, as our ancesters were hunters and existed from the game they shot.

They not only ate it but used the hides to make clothing. And etc used about all of it.

Maybe you should stick to shooting targets (maybe try metallic silhouette)

Not trying to be condescending, just trying to reason it out. LOL

Maybe try fly fishing: catch and release!

Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: bothbarrels] #82380 02/03/2011 1:22 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: guitarpicva] #82381 02/03/2011 1:23 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
Vegetarian, perhaps?

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: guitarpicva] #82398 02/03/2011 7:00 PM
ELarsen Offline
stranger
stranger
If you want to donate you are doing the right thing by looking for a recipient first.

But, how do you feel about field dressing the critter? For the meat to be "donate-able" it will need to be properly cared for quickly. If you don't have experience w/ this...I did a simple internet search "field dressing boar video" and there were many hits...enjoy.

Field dressing can be done alone, but a buddy to help hold the critter helps.

This brings up another suggestion...find a buddy to go hunting w/ that is an experienced mammal hunter. They have probably field dressed their game many times and know what's up.

Pigs are tough. Pigs have really tough skin/bone/muscle mass in their front quarters. Use a "heavy for caliber" bullet. Hard cast lead, or JSP, 158gr at least, 180gr better. Penetration is your friend. For that reason a hollow point...probably not a good idea.

Find an experienced pig hunter to talk to. They can tell you a lot of what you need to know to efficiently harvest a pig and give you advice on what they think about using the 357mag. Be prepared to hear that 357mag is not enough gun, 44mag is better.

Good luck!

Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: ELarsen] #82450 02/04/2011 7:13 PM
mete Offline
For lead free I think you'd be pleased with the Barnes 225 gr in a 44 mag. It offers penetration and expansion. I used the Corbon DPX load on a 400 lb red deer - worked very well.

Re: Would like to handgun hunt in South Florid but ... [Re: mete] #82482 02/05/2011 3:23 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If you do your homework you might have a win win situation. Find a local processor and see if they will not skin out the hide and give it back to you in exchange for the meat off your kill.

“IF” cooked right, wild game tastes wonderful. However it does require some homework. I really learned a lot after buying a couple of books that were “how to’s” on taking game from field to table. Good stuff.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 127 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod