Craig

While I'm waiting on my clark conversion, I've been loading up a couple of batches of the Rowland with two of the style bullets I plan on using.

The 255 is the one I cast myself and the swc is the commercial, made by E&E Lead Products. (I believe they are out of business now as these bullet are part of a large quantity I bought 10yrs ago)

I have a 300gr cast chk'd bullet I cast, LEE 452-300RF that I may try later.

I'm loading these with Unique based on info I got from an article by Hunter Lee Elliot when he tested Wilson's Combat Hunter. I know that use AA#7, but I've been using Unique in my handguns since I started reloading in the mid 1960's and it's my initial 'go to' powder. Elliot loaded some 325gr cast, Lyman 452651, with Unique.

In the two loads pictured, the 230jhp is seated to a col of 1.262 while the 255 is seated to a col of 1.232. These length functioned thru all the 'mags I have on hand, including some old 1950's G.I.. Just wish my 'kit' would get here!

I crimp just a 'frog hair' ahead of the crimp groove on the Lee and a touch more with the swc, but still leave the front driving band exposed.

Last edited by 1948ER; 01/15/2012 5:32 PM.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69