Russell,

Thanks for the additional information. I am sure Unique will work to a point, it is just that most of the sources use something a bit slower. And it is not just about absolute pressure and top loads, but the pressure curve and the locking/delayed opening of the 1911 slide. As I am sure you know, the slide is headed backwards before the bullet leaves the barrel. One of the reasons the comp works so well is due to the faces on the perpendicular edges of the comp getting hit with gases. This in effect causes the barrel to "drag" against the slide's "pull". And all of it affects just how much total rearward velocity the slide gets. And how much gets transmitted to the frame. So it really is a system of moving parts. Lots of room to experiment to get the right balance of things.

As to the bullets, if you are open minded about the slightly lesser weights, the Hornady XTP line has some real potential. As they make the 45 diameter bullets in standard and magnum version (for the 454), you can tweak penetration and expansion this way. In my wet newsprint testing, the mag versions do penetrate deeper with less expansion than the non-magnum offereings, just like you would expect. The other nice thing about the XTP's is that have been the most accurate bullets in all of my Rowlands, without exception. I have tested many of the premium 230 HP's, and without exception the Rowland at the top end flat turns them inside out.

I tried seating the FA's 260's yesterday in a regular acp case, and it looks like they might work for feeding. The core is really hard lead, so I am thinking that they could behave like the Nosler, or even like hard cast lead, as they do have a decent meplat. I need to test these, and they are priced between the XTP's and Nosler's. I think if I were going after a white tail type critter, and wanted very good expansion with decent penetration, I would skip the 230's all together, and use either the XTP in 250, or even the Nosler 250 Sport bullet. The XTP seems to hang together better than the Nosler, but neither would break the bank for practice. Driven to the same velocity, the 240 XTP mag has out penetrated the 230 or 250 regular XTP's. You can really split hairs just in the XTP line.

I wish I could find a source for the Lee 255 you have pictured. I would love to try that one with my current 45 Super endeavours.

And Rod I would agree with you, that 255 grain SWC bullet has just been popular for too many years with the Colt shooters to die off completely. I think Midway has a couple maker's of those listed. I cannot count the number of local caster one-off's I have seen in gun shops and shows over the years.

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited by Bearbait in NM; 01/16/2012 6:00 PM.

Northern born and Southern bred