Hank and 1948,

In my limited wet news print testing, the 230 at 1295 penetrated just a tad less than the 250 at at 1150. But the 250's retain weight better, and do not get loose between the jacket and core. As I mentioned the 230's just get flat turned inside out. As this is newsprint and not critters, I am not sure it is conclusive, but when combined with the scads of bullets recovered from my dirt banks I still kinda lean towards the 230 at velocities above 1250 or so is getting to be above where I want a bullet to deform so radically. I do not mind the petals being flat against the core, or even torn off, but when the main lead core is being flattened. I start to question things. For what it is worth, the 240 XTP mag performed about equal to the 250 when driven at 1220 fps.

1948, I do like the looks of that Lee bullet, and you know more about lead than I ever will, but I would highly recomend at least working with some XTP's, if only to see what your accuracy potential is with the barrel. I have tested a lot of lead and jacketed through many Rowland barrels, and the XTP's always shoot lights out right now for accuracy. The lead has always been like lead in revolvers, lots of frustration. But I am sure you have been down that road many times.

Hank, I would not worry about Clark and them fouling your slide. They have indeed been around a very long time, with Clark Jr. taking the company over from his dad. On a conversion where they know the original gun barrel will still be used, to bugger a slide in lieu of the cost of a cheap part would be a terrible rookie mistake. And it sounds like the bushing was not true (round), so to make the slide fit would take a ton more work. Between my Rowlands and full length guide rods, I have probably had 10 perfect bushings from them over the years. They do have the ability to do them correctly. Sorry you caught the lemon.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred