Joe,

As Hank and Russell noted, the comp is indeed needed in the Clark offering. Having intentionally shot the Clark without the comp (and destroying the barrel lugs) I can confirm that a 230 at full throttle without the comp is pretty violent in recoil, compared to with the comp. What I do not know is how much of the recoil mitigation is venting gases or how much is just the pure weight hanging on the end of the gun barrel.

I remember thinking the first time I touched one off way back when was that the recoil was very mild, compared to my 454 loads of similar power, or other magnum guns I have owned and fired. You can definately feel the power in your hand, but it is very much straight back, with just a little muzzle rise. It was definately one of those wow, that ws not bad at all moments.

Back to the issue of why Wilson does it without the comp, it has to be the overall fit of their gun. As the Clark is a drop in unit designed to fit (or misfit) a lot of different guns, Clark has no control of the entire gun system. As such, they have to mitigate what they are able. Also if you look at the velocity data that Wilson lists on their web page (I think), you will see they show a 230 at about 100 fps less than earlier published data. In retrospect, I have spent enough money on 460 barrels over the years to have paid for a Wilson, but then they were not available back then. I would love to own one, or even have one to test side by side with the Clark, just to feel any differences.

Russell, the only thing that gives me peace of mind these days with the Rowland is my learning curve is mostly behind me, at the least the steep ugly part of the curve. I do not need to shoot so many rounds, and I have a good selection of solid base loads that work for me. If I had a Wilson ten years ago, I am sure I would have destroyed it by now ;^) Besides, when it comes to 1911's I am just plain weak. I have to tinker with them, I have no control.....

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred