As the Handgun Hunting Consultant to the SCI Record Book Committee, I am happy to see a discussion on the Record Book merits!
I would just like to make a couple clarifications and comments:
The SCI Record Book of Big Game Animals (RB) does record and separate the method of take for every huntable trophy animal species in the world. So, all Handgun entries are listed in the book separate from the rifle, muzzleloader, bow, etc.
The RB is continually upgraded, in order to categorize species correctly. So, for example, North America species are now divided into three categories: Free Range, Estate (high fence), and Introduced (Fallow Deer, etc.).
A year ago, the RB Chairman, Herb Atkinson, started a campaign to recognize Handgun Hunters (HH). He brought me in as the HH consultant, in order to increase the awareness of HH. We have implemented numerous programs since then. Anyone interested in the entire list of programs may email me at: leon@munyan.com (feedback is welcome).
We have a HH seminar at the upcoming SCI convention in Las Vegas, co-chaired by Mark Hampton. Larry Weishuhn, Mr. Whitetail, is our keynote speaker. We also have autograph signing sessions with Gregg Richter, Mark Hampton, and Larry Weishuhn.
I know that HH, for some reason, are reluctant to enter their animals in the RB. That is unfortunate, because the RB is a valuable scientific data base that is used extensively to track species sizes and quantities - it is not a bragging rights forum! SCI has agreed to print the first HH record book - only HH entries will be in the book! In order to make this endeavor at least break-even, we must have enough entries. To date, the RB has 3,633 HH entries from 921 members. The RB committee has to publish a HH RB with 700 more entries. So, please have your trophies measured and sent in ASAP!
Thanks for all the interest in the SCI RB, and thanks for the opportunity to add to this discussion.