Just did some testing this weekend along the lines of the last few posts. I decided to try some 45 Super loads, mostly testing the gun without the comp, using a power level that should not beat the gun up. But I was mostly interested in how far I could take a Super without comp to the point where the gun felt and recoiled like a full Rowland with comp.

So in working up a load with the 230 XTP, I got to just shy of 1100 fps. The recoil impulse of the gun, as well as the "thump" and the distance the brass was going put this at my stopping point. This is very subjective, so others might see and feel something different. And as I mentioned earlier, my gun is setup for the Rowland so I was comfortable with the amount of slide banging going on. And for the record, an 1100 fps 230 XTP out of the Rowland is a very easy shooter.

I was also wanting to see how far I would want to go "comp-less" as there are times the full Rowland comp is a little long. As I prefer a Commander for carry perhaps my judgement on a 6" gun for carry is a bit slanted, but I think the Rowland for CCW would be for someone who has a very specific window of needs.

And as this was sorta addressed in JWP's posts, I do shoot 45 acp's out of my Rowland. BUT, I only do so after a lot of research and thought. The folks who shoot the supped up 40 say that shooting 40 S & W in the same gun is dangerous. I tried to find a good reason, with little luck. Johnny Rowland advertises it being safe in the Rowland. The other kicker is that the acp round has to hold (headspace)on the extractor to work, so it probably stresses the extractor a bunch. And you will have to play with spring rates and ejector length and shape, but it is doable. And top end 45 acp loads feel like plinkers out of the Rowland setup.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred