Thanks for all the response and interest in the SCI record book for Handgun Hunters. We can really use the support, and we really need your entries in order to make the Handgun Record Book a reality!
Couple quick answers to questions:
See Gregg's posting for the location of an SCI measurer. Note that measurers are not paid anything, so you may need to ask a couple to find one with the time to do the measuring. Also, plan to take your trophy to them.
Note that, in order to submit an entry to the record book, you need to be a member of SCI. This is actually a good thing, since SCI is THE conservation organization that is helping protect hunter's rights worldwide. (believe-it-or-not!). I have been an active handgun participant of the record book for 15 years, and I hear a lot of misconceptions promoted among handgun hunters. Go to the SCI website or call them at 1-520-620-1220 to get new member information.
As Mark Hampton noted, all the profits from the record book department are used for conservation efforts. Also, the printing of a Handgun record book will probably be at a loss (ie., no profits to SCI), so we definitely need more entry fees to at least make it break even. SCI is willing to print the book with no profit, because they really are trying to promote the use of alternative weapons..........
By the way, if you are able to make it to the Vegas handgun hunting seminar, you will receive vouchers to enter trophies with handguns for free - probably the only time that will happen!
The SCI record book minimum sizes for each species are only divided into gun and bow. So, the Handgun and Muzzle loader entries have the same minimum as the rifle entries. Having entered over 150 species to SCI, I actually like competing with rifle hunters. Based on my experience, dedicated handgun hunters are actually more accurate shooters than the average rifle hunter. So, why would we want to be treated as second class shooters! I know there are handgun hunters that only use open sighted revolvers and other lesser range weapons. I applaud their tenacity and ability. Unfortunately, SCI already has five weapon categories tracked in the record book, and sub dividing handgun entries into scoped or non-scoped handguns, etc. would be nearly impossible.
Sorry for my long postings, but I REALLY want all Handgun Hunters to stand up and be recognized by the hunting community. So, join SCI and enter your trophies - you will be proud that you did! (By the way, there are slightly more handgun entries in the record book than there are muzzle loader entries - hate to see those muzzle loaders overtake us!).
LEON