Thanks guys,
Gregg, in Georgia, where I live and hunt, "any center fire" is how it reads. So the question of leagle is yes, my question was ethical. Can a clean shot put down a white tail humanely. I have no problem passing on marginal shots. I'm one of those who belives that if you dont' play by the rules, it ain't hunting, it is poaching. And that goes for more than just hunting.
S4, yeah, it is a .45 (long) colt, not the schofield round.
SB, No, not the only handgun. I'm only a few years into the addiction, but I'm on my second safe. I've bagged deer with my s/w 29 and t/c in .270. Two seasons ago I quit using my long guns to hunt. So this is more of a "can I play with this new toy" kind of question.
Tracker, I'd be using a quality JHP. I've got to order some dies for the .45/.454, so I'll be hunting with home brewed rounds. I picked up some Horandy's when I got the gun, according to the box, and an online calculator, 185 gr. ftx's are 543 ft/lbs at muzzle, and 440 at 50 yards. I've a call into Uberti to see if this gun can take those hotter loads like the Rugers and t/c's but I'm not counting on it.
Thank you for the kind words on my new toy. I did range report over on the keltek site if you are interested:
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=247052

Again, thanks for the info,
Dogsbreath

Hey, lookie there, I just got promoted from 'stranger' to 'newbie'. Mooving on up....

Last edited by dogsbreath; 02/26/2012 1:35 PM.