The #1 bread & butter conversion for the custom sixgun smiths has been the 3 screw Rugers to 44 special. The old 3 screws were built on the "mid" frame, unlike the larger 30 Carbines, 41, 44 & 45 caliber guns. Now that Ruger has seen the light & started producing midframe 44 specials, along with tightened tolerances & a flat top frame I'm sure the custom smiths have taken somewhat of a hit.
In the past all of us used 44 specials in our maggies & the loads shot very well. It was necessary to keep the cylinder clean because of powder fouling from the shorter case but that was a minor problem. Its actually easier to build 44 special loads using magnum brass. In stead of 7.5 grs of Unique in 44 special brass I use 8.5 grs in 44 magnum brass. Nice, easy shooting load. In my original 7 1/2" barrel 44 flattop & 8.5 grs of Unique I whacked a Montana whitetail last fall, shot was about 85-90 yds broadside, one shot, she jumped straight in the air & kicked then leaned over & turned the lights out!
Gregg, you really need to pick up a mid frame 44 special, then you can just send that old 454 over here to Ideehoo!

Dick