Some are so funny! What is a .44 special? It was a gun that shot at 600+ fps to about 1000 fps with proper boolits. So you get a Ruger so you can shoot low end .44 mag velocities and brag about it.
Elmer was not happy and wanted more until the .44 mag was made but today, you can almost reach the mag with a special at the cost of higher pressures.
Will a special kill good? Sure when loaded up but is it better then the .44 mag?
It is the same as +P loads in a .38 compared to the .357.
Two sides of the coin. Some think a .500 JRH is too small so they go the .500 S&W or .500 Max. Others go down to a .38 for deer. A few nuts say a .25 auto is good.
The .44 special has a place but when you go to a .44 mag with loads, why not just get a mag?
I see Colt has a new beautiful .44 special at +$1500---WHY? They seem unable to make a .44 mag in the gun.
I will never own another .357 and sure would not pay over $1500 for a .44 special when I hunt. I don't see anyone using a 25-20 for deer but some need a .300 WSM yet revolver shooters think a small gun will do the job.
Most rifle hunters today hate the 30-30 as being short range and weak but use a small revolver. A .380 or Nine must be better then a 30-30!