Originally Posted By: tracker77
I dont think its about bragging about shooting low end 44 mags. More is not always better. Just like better is sometimes the enemy of good enough. I agree that the 44spl isnt as powerful as the 44mag and wont do as many things. And I will also agree that Elmer Keith wanted more than the 44spl could deliver. But the 44spl is still a classic handgun hunting caliber. Having my Ruger rechambered (if I do) is not a bad thing just because the 44mag exists. I would do it for the nastalgic value and because I like the bullet and its abilities. Sure I own a 44mag. I hunt with it as one of my primary guns. But its one of those rare guns that shoots 44mag better than it does 44spl. I have two three screw Ruger 357s. One of them is a sweetheart and the other has a very high round count and not as accurate as it used to be. If I have Rod rechamber one it will be to IMPROVE the one that has diminishing accuracy. I would also say that Elmer Keiths #5 SAA is one of the most beautiful and iconic handguns ever built.

Would I take a .44 special over a .357? Sure, every day of the week but there is the .44 mag. Just so much better.
Notice everyone wants to load to near the .44 mag! I wonder why anyone buys a special and wants +P loads????? That is as bad as a .44 mag owner wanting 700 fps loads.