I'm a little bit surprised no one called me on using the HP's, its something that I seldom do because I always expect an exit hole. With this big heavy slug (380 grs) I figured it would probably shear the nose off & still have lots of lead, perhaps 300 grs or so to keep on driving.
If things had worked out I would liked to have punched him in both shoulders to see what the big slug could do...maybe next time. My guess is, it would have clobbered him with little problem. A spring bear, although it looks big because of the long hair is actually a lot smaller than it would be in the fall.
We estimated this boar to weigh about 200 lbs, in the fall he could go as much as 300 lbs. I would guess this bear was maybe 12" deep through the shoulders, minus the hair.
Those of you who have hunted bears know that it can be very addicting, its probably my favorite animal to hunt. There's just something about spot & stalk & being in close with a bear that really trips my switch, I never get tired of hunting them & Idaho is high on the list for black bears.

Dick