Originally Posted By: tracker77
Im on board with the fact that you dont like the 44spl as a hunting round and you wont pay $1500 for a Colt in that caliber. Ok. I understand that 44spl has limits. And that its not ever gonna be what a 44mag can be. Again...ok and your right on both accounts. But I dont hunt out west where I need to take long shots so I honestly dont need the velocity. I dont hunt in Alaska or were I may be eatten but something so I dont need that much power. My longest shot with a handgun in my life on a deer was 75 yards with my 357mag. She ran something like 60 yards and fell. Since going to the 44mag a few years ago I have never had to take a shot past 60 yards. I have been using my 44mag loads at 1150fps the whole time. They shoot well and they kill well. I have never had a hit animal go further than 40 yards. Most of the time they dont last 20. Thats the load I use and its all I need. It has handled several deer, more than a few of our local feral hogs and a black bear. Im not trying to turn the 44spl into a 44mag. It cant be done. I actually did the reverse and it works for me.

I don't know about not being eaten. My best friend when I was going to school in Tulsa was a guy from Fort Smith and he worried me sometimes when we would be cat fishing the Arkansas river until all hours of the morning. He was the size of a grizzly and I always got nervous when he'd start getting hungry
;\)

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist