Originally Posted By: wtroper
I find the debate of the safety (or lack thereof) of the FAs very interesting. I am wondering why no one has mentioned the "lack of safety" associated with the old TC Contenders. They are very dangerous in the wrong hands, but I still prefer them to the G-2 and the encore.

I will keep my old contender frames (and remember to break it) and my FAs & load 4. I have yet to fire 4 rounds from any of the FAs at any one animal on a hunt. Actually, two is my personal max on one animal.

Actually, there was at least one lawsuit vs. T/C and the original Contender, reported in the Wall Street Journal a few years ago.
An avid hunter and gun owner from the Charlotte N.C. area as I recall, bent over while hunting and his Contender fell from a shoulder holster, striking the ground. It discharged and killed him.
T/C said that couldn't happen. Then during the Discovery phase, it came to light that T/C had made a video to prove it couldn't happen. They dropped a Contender and then picked it up. A staff member was said to exclaim off camera "Oh ^%$*&, it fell", referring to the hammer.
I think it is a correct statement that with the surfacing of the video, the case was settled out of court.
Nevertheless, I'm keeping all my old Contender frames too, and consider them outstanding single-shots.