Originally Posted By: wapitirod
just as a noteI have to disagree with you 430. I've personally seen velocity variations with same load and identical guns except for cylinder gap. Any escape route the gas has causes a drop in pressure behind the bullet in the barrel therefore reducing velocity. A closed breech gun has nowhere for the gas to go except out the barrel unless the chamber is bad enough for it to blow back.

That is normally true. Now I have not tested but read some very interesting things. Some revolvers really did have more velocity. But those that were slower were not very much slower. At least not enough to hold your nose at a revolver.
I am not a fan of high velocity anyway and accuracy is 100X more important to me for hunting.
Velocity is fine for a singe shot because it is a good platform for long range hunting from sticks or a rest. But the S&W .460 was also designed for long ranges with a lighter boolit at high velocity.
The question was about matching velocities and I feel it is not important. The difference in drop at 200 yards between the revolver and single shot could probably be measured with your thumb.