No offense or anger is intended in this post, but I think most of us know how to hunt, and what happens during that time. I've been doing it for thirty years now. It may not be as much as most of you, but I've done enough hunting in those thirty years to know how to track an animal.

I've bow hunted most of my life, and therefore have followed a LOT of blood trails. I know they can disappear. But if a person relies only on a blood trail, their tracking skills are pretty limited in my opinion. I took 7 big game animals with a bow before I ever picked up a rifle. Took a deer and an elk within thirty minutes of each other with that rifle during the combined third season in Colorado, and decided that was to easy. Went back to bow hunting for several years, got burned out, and wanted to try something different. That's what got me to handguns the last few years, and I love it.

I think it is pretty unfair to assume I think every animal shot just drops in place, or that I don't know how to track an animal. I can track an animal pretty darn well without blood. Try running a trap line for even just one season and see how well your tracking skills get. If a person doesn't have good tracking skills, they will be setting worthless sets.

I don't believe this sport is about racking up as many kills as possible, and I'm not about to deny most of you have taken more game animals with a handgun or rifle than I have. But I'd be careful in assuming that I can't hunt.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 07/24/2012 6:50 PM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.