Thinking about areas, I've spent a good bit of time in West Elk Wilderness (GMU 54), Zirkle (GMU 14), and Flat Tops (GMU 12, 23, 24). The West Elk Creek canyon holds some dandy elk but they are work. I've seen some nice bulls that I couldn't get to because of the terrain. West Elk also takes a bit of getting into. A couple of outfitters work the area in/around Bonfisk Peak and Rainbow Lake. GMU 54 has a good number of mule deer as well.

The Flat Tops is basically a first season deal. Elk are there second season but start moving out in second season if weather moves in. The kill stats should verify first vs second season.

Zirkle has some areas that can be reached by foot as well. A good forest service map is a really good place to start.

A few things to consider when hunting on your own. An elk is big. You'll need to determine - beforehand - how to handle 2-300 lbs of meat. You won't be throwing it all in a backpack and heading out. It is a 3-5 trip affair over whatever terrain you've covered to find elk. I found a couple of ranches that rent horses in areas I hunt. A horse is your best friend after an elk is down. It will be the best $2-300 you spend.

I think you have plenty of time to plan a hunt this fall. Spend some time with the kill stats over the past 5 years in seasons 1, 2, and 3. You'll likely be looking at second season. Despite the stats, most GMU's hold huntable elk numbers. The "secret" is finding them. Consider taking a summer vacation in the area(s) you want to hunt. My wife and I like to hike and go to Colorado most every year - her to hike, me to elk scout. Look for areas most guys will be camping and accessing areas, then look for out of the way places - steep, dark/deep, remote areas. Elk will head to those areas to get away from people. They also need to eat. Small meadows in timber can be magnets for smaller bands of elk. I look for a small meadow with good grass, on a ridge/side ridge with a steep north or east facing slope close by. Bulls love to bed on the north side and pop up over the ridge to eat right at dark. You likely won't see a lot of elk but the odds of seeing a bull are better.

Good luck but be careful - elk hunting is addicting