I've never done anything with cast bullets. I've always used jacketed, and I'll be completely honest-- its because I don't want lead to damage the barrel of my guns. No, I've never actually seen a damaged barrel from lead, but I've HEARD it can happen, and that's enough to keep me away. I keep the outside of my guns spotless, and I try to do the same with the inside as much as possible. I have learned from you guys that a couple "fouling shots" is a good idea, but when my guns sit for longer than a couple days, I clean them. I enjoy cleaning them, I take great pride in my guns, and I guess by cleaning them, in my own little mind, I'm preserving them and helping them to hopefully "last forever". Hmmmm... since I put it that way, makes me wonder if I have a certifiable mental issue! :-)

That being said, how much do cast bullets really effect the barrel, and what can be done to clean it effectively and completely?

I ask this cause I'm getting the 500JRH built, and am thinking that my bullet selection is going to be VERY limited in jacketed, so I might as well start looking at cast.

Since I'm laying all my cards on the table here, like I said, I have never used cast, but the idea of making your own bullets does interest me. I would just like to know if it will damage a custom gun, or any gun for that matter.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.