There is nothing wrong with the 44 and in honesty if you research the history it's now somewhat anemic compared to what it was with the SAMMI pressures being lowered from 454 levels for liability reasons. As far as just caliber it's the same reason a bowhunter usually tries to use the widest cutting broadhead they can. A larger caliber equals a larger wound channel. This is especially important with the slower velocities and even more so the non expanding bullets many use in revolvers. The 44 will and has taken every animal in NA and even elephant but it wouldn't be my first choice for the latter. As for deer and black bear it's plenty however when you step up to one of the larger guns you've bought insurance on have even more confidence that the bullet will go through and through. I play with everything, I build big bore single actions but right now my newest play toy and caliber is a 1911 in 460 Rowland. I just chronod two loads using a 200gr XTP and I was getting 1650 and 1850 with the two loads. I am going to check it on another chrono because those were truly impressive numbers. I still wouldn't use it for elk but for deer or cougar I would and I'd consider it as a back up gun for when I'm rifle hunting.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist