I have both .44 and .454 and I always have dilemma which gun to chose for some particular hunt. I see that you have consensus about this topic – perhaps it’s time for somebody to give some wind in the back to the 45+ side
\:\)

Comparing .44 max loads with extra-heavy 340grs bullets and “standard” .454 with lighter bullets just don’t seem to be fair.
If you are comparing hard cast bullets in .44 and .454 – I will agree with you (and I would exclude large African game from here) that difference is minor. In case you want to compare them in soft point field – situation is bit different. 454 will make more tissue damage not just because it’s 5% wider but also have higher velocity than .44 (with comparable weight). If you recall Elmer Keith words that with revolver goal are to have exit wound, which means that penetration is the name of the game. My belief is that with its great potential .454 stepped in quite new (rifle, I would say) territory when you can exchange some penetration (since you have plenty of it) for expansion. Again, it depends on size of game you are after and sure you can use soft points with .44 too but sometimes price can be lack of sufficient penetration.
Once again I have to mention Elmer – once he said that in case he have to chose just one weapon he will go for FA .454. Cannot agree more. BTW, in my .454 I can have .44 performances but not vice versa.