Gary,

I agree, the lion was close to the brush so any deflection should have been minimal. I have no experience with that kind of brush, but it looked like some tough stuff. I only mentioned it as some would say they would never shoot where defelection was possible. It's pretty obvious that you and your guide knew what you and the cartridge could do.

I am guessing that you were all strung out in single file of some sort while moving along. Not sure whether everyone was armed, but had you all mostly moved past and she broke with bad intent, that could have been a really bad "going cowboy". It sounds like she growled to let you know she was there. So much could have gone so terribly wrong, no doubt that entire hunt will stick in everyones mind.

Your a better man than me, I would have not wanted an iron sighted pistol, I am thinking a shotgun and buck shot would have been my choice for a follow up gun.......

Leopards off limbs, elephants or hippos close, I can't imagine a more exciting hunt than yours. Not sure how you are going to top that one. WOW

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred