If you follow along on the Colt, S&W Forums and Gunbroker, you will find that the 3" revolvers are all carrying a very high cool factor, price and desirability right now. For the older models, it seems to be rarity of production. For the newer models, the trend seems to be a little easier for concealed carry, and the speed at which you can "skin" it.

I don't have any 3"ers, but I do have the almost 4ish, and a couple of large frame 2 and change. About the only time I see a difference is in concealed carry, with a high rise type holster. The 4 inch class can be a little harder on getting clearance to the front of the holster compared to the shorter. But even that can be mitigated by a holster that has a bit of swoop to the front. The shorter ones also ride a little better in the vehicle seat. And this is all with strongside carry.

I've got the bug for a 45acp revolver right now, and have decided 4 inch. As Hank noted, I might hunt with it, and 4 inch is common for hunting regs. And I know I can find a holster (or make one) that will make carrying and drawing a snap. If I could afford both, the 3" would be nifty for "those times". With the funds for only one, I feel a 4 has a touch more functionality for me.

Good luck with the decision, and stay out of those 3" revolver threads......;^)

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred