It is my understanding that both the olive green and black Stealth Hunters use the Birdsong coating, although S&W has some other name for it. If you look on the Birdsong site their finish is available in both olive drab and black.

http://black-t.com/

I do think the cylinder is finished some other way though. The frame is all a very very dark grey (almost black), and the cylinder is darker and shinier.

About reloading for this gun: I have been loading three bullets (200gr Hornady XTP, 200gr Sierra Gold Dot JHP, and 240gr LSWC.

I tested a variety of loads, several powders, on my Ransom Rest. We had pretty good results from (unfortunately) Vihtavuori N-105 with the XPTs, and similarly good results from Alliant 2400 with tbe Gold Dots. Accurate Arms #9 did well too, but not quite as well as N105 and 2400.

The N105 pumps out good velocity and consistency with very little flash and almost no smoke. Recoil is snappy. Nice stuff... but the reason I said "unfortunately" above is that the stuff is almost double the price of 2400.

2400 pushing the Sierras was "more dramatic" when you touch 'em off (I was loading them to 23gr of 2400), with more flash, a bigger boom, and kind of a softer natured recoil. I think the N105 didn't have any MORE recoil, it just seemed to be more of a crack and slap than the more "punch" feeling from the 2400.

I like 'em both and have both to play with, so I am happy about that.

We did load some Power Pro 300-MP test rounds up too, and they were terrible, worst performance I have seen on my Ransom Rest so far (this is the third gun we have tested this way). Strange flyers out of the group of 6-10" sometimes. LOTS of fire and smoke and particles blown all over the shooter and the bench. Wildly inaccurate. Gonna use it for fertilizer.

I mounted a Bushnell Elite 3200 (2-6x 32mm) handgun scope on it today, just to try the scope. I bought the scope for a Ruger Bisley Hunter .44 magnum that I have on order. Looks kinda dangerous!

Last edited by michaelnel; 02/15/2014 3:49 AM.